Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

We have just moved into a house with an integrated Neff

Customer Question

Hi; we have just moved into a house with an integrated Neff Fridge Freezer. The problem is that the freezer isn't cold enough. We initially put a thermometer in there and it showed as being -15 degrees, but has now gone up to -10. The temperature setting on the fridge is 2 degrees, but the green light above the temperature is constantly flashing. The model/serial number is ***** Is there are a way to bring the temperature down, or is this a technical fault? Thanks.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Can you still hear the compressor at the back running?
Is there still ice or frost on the back wall inside the fridge?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi,There is no ice or frost on the back wall; it's just water. There is a sound coming from the back of the fridge, but it is intermittent and frankly doesn't sound very healthy. My wife commented that it didn't sound right before we actually tested the temperature. It was silent when I started typing this but is now making a noise. To be honest it sounds like it's turning on and then shutting off constantly. There is noise for up to maybe two seconds, and then it cuts off before starting up again. It's just done that now for about a minute and is silent again.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Ok im afraid this isn't good news.
From what you say and the fault you describe this is a fault on the system. Its more then likely the compressor as this goes weak and what we call a poor pumping compressor so its unable to pump the gas around the system and cool correctly.
For this you need to get a fridge engineer in as they will have to replace the compressor and regas the appliance as this isn't a diy repair.
But this isn't going to be a cheap fix as a compressor fitted is around the £250 mark here.
Sorry its not good news but this as a fault on there which will need to be repair im afraid.
If you need anymore info just get back to me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your response; that is helpful. Can you recommend a reputable company that supplies fridge engineers, or is it a matter of looking in my local area?
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Were abouts are you in the uk?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Chester. Also, I think I know the answer to this but it is probably worth asking, is it best to get a new compressor fitted, or is it more economical to replace the whole fridge freezer?
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Ok im afraid I don't know any near you im afraid. There is someone I know in Northwich but they don't do compressor replacments though.
What you can do is try Neff direct as they do a plan for faulty appliances for £14 a month so that may be worth it as they will repair and give a full 12 month warrenty on the complete appliance.
Copy and paste the link below for the details
http://www.neff.co.uk/prices.html
To be honest that's probberly what I would do here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help Daniel. I was very hesitant about using this service but you've been extremely helpful.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Your very welcome.