Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

I have a problem with a fan assisted storage heater FXL24i.

I have a problem with a fan assisted storage heater FXL24i. When the fan cuts in it will run for a couple of seconds then you hear a relay click and the fan stops. I suspected the room stat and replaced it but the fault is still there. What can you suggest
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.
Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries - did you check continuity through the other three thermostats or did you just take a guess at it being the room stat?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just took a guess at it being the room stat
OK do you have a continuity tester or multimeter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes I have multimeter
OK attached is a diagram of the heater, you will need to check continuity through items 12,13,14,15,16,28 & 34.
http://www.torreelectrics.co.uk/acatalog/Dimplex-FXL24I-range-storage-heater-spares-and-parts.html
http://www.dimplex.co.uk/assets/kb/operating_instructions/0/FXLi_Instructions_Issue_6.pdf
The wiring diagram is linked above for you to follow it through.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have checked continuity as requested. All is OK which I think points to the fan itself
Well first thing I would do is check that you have a constant power supply to the fan at the connector block, just follow the cables back - also note that there is a fan cut out too which may be playing up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, problem solved. I have been led astray by a faulty neon screwdriver which was indicating power when in fact no power was present. The fan boost supply is fed via an external room thermostat which was faulty.
Excellent news - glad the circuit diagram was helpful, would you kindly rate the information given by using the star ratings at the top of the page, this allows me to shut the job down on the system whilst giving you further free of charge information requests if needed. Thank you for using JA and have a nice day.