Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

I have an Hotpoint FFM70A Fridge freezer. The freezer is not working but fridge seems fine

I have an Hotpoint FFM70A Fridge freezer. The freezer is not working but fridge seems fine.
The freezer is completely defrosted. No ice blocking anything up.
I've taken off the rear panel and can see the fan etc.
WhenI switch it on, the fan in the freezer compartment starts but only for about 10 seconds then stops. the freezer does not get cold.
Any suggestions? A sensor issue?
I have a multimeter and am happy measuring resistance of sensors etc.
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.
Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries - can you tell me if the compressor is running at the back?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it is running.
OK and is the condenser (black grill at the back) getting warm/hot?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, condenser is not getting warm. And actually, comparing to another fridge I don't think the fridge is quite right either (not cold enough)
OK let me explain whats going on here, on your appliance all the cooling is in the freezer. The evaporator (thing behind the back panel where the fan is that looks like a radiator) is cooled by refrigerant gas being forced through it by the action of the compressor at the back. The cold from this is then ducted into the fridge through pipes at the back. The control for this operation is through the sensors (that you mentioned) which feed information to the control panel that runs the show. Now from what you have told me, no gas is being pumped around by the compressor either because it is short of refrigerant or because the compressor is faulty. A repair at this level is not a diy project as it entails breaking in to the gas circuit and checking the gas pressures with specialist refrigeration tools. If you have a 5 year parts cover on this appliance I would be contacting Hotpoint and getting them to come out. Not because a normal engineer couldnt do it but more because if Hotpoint cant fix it they will exchange it.
If you need further information or need an engineer on your patch come back to me with your postcode and I can send you a list of a couple of decent companies. In the meantime would you kindly rate the serve given by selecting from the star rating system at the top of the page. This allows me to shut down the question on the system but allows you further questions at no extra charge. Thank you for using JA and enjoy your evening.
Can I be of further assistance. If not would you kindly rate the service given to allow me to close down the job. - Thank you.