Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

The door on my Zanussi TC482W condenser dryer is very difficult

Customer Question

The door on my Zanussi TC482W condenser dryer is very difficult to open. Even with the release button fully pressed it takes brute force to open it.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
When this happens its the door lock itself that causes this fault.
Now the good news on this is this model as 2 door locks fitted. Its for if the door was reversed.
What you need to do is unplug the dryer and remove the top.
Now look at the front and you will see the door lock on both sides.
Remove the screw you will see and at the same time hold the lock on the inside and you can lift it up from there and out.
Do this on both sides and then you need to transfer the wire cable over so try not to detach it from the push button. Only do it from the lock itself and then swap them over and this usually does the tick from there and sorts it.
But if that doesn't work then the complete door lock will need to be replaced as it comes with the 2 locks complete with the metal cables and push button.
But most of the time swapping the locks over from left to right makes it a lot better from there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for that. I'll try what you recommend. Peter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Daniel, I tried your solution on my Zanussi TC482W tumble dryer door. Unfortunately it will not work, i.e the catches are "handed" which means that the left hand catch will not fit the right hand side. I have solved the problem by fitting a new pair of catches and cables. This was an easy job but you first have to move the control mechanism out of the way first,
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Very strange how you couldn't do that as ive done it loads of times on these. You just swap them over as I never had any trouble reversing them before. I used to work direct for Zanussi so it was a fault we did see a lot. But glad to hear you got it sorted with a new one in the end.