Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

We have a zanussi dishwasher which has stopped working.

Hi we have a zanussi dishwasher which has stopped working. A sort if drilling, pump noise is coming from the unit about 10 seconds after the wash cycle is started. Pump cannot be removed from inside the unit...any suggestions? ZDI 122X
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
If you reset the dishwasher and start a new cycle the first thing it will do is drain the water out.
Is this when you hear that noise?
Is the dishwasher still full of water?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The water does not drain out once re-set. We have just bailed water out of the sump after removing the filter basket and filter plate to see if we could see any debris. We thought that by undoing the screws on the pump housing we may be able to remove the pump unit, but it is not removable from the inside of the machine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We hear the noise once the dishwasher has been reset to a new cycle. On starting the new cycle, the washer appears to work for about 10-15 seconds and then the noise kicks in where it would have previously started to pump fluids.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Ok from the sounds of it either the pump impeller has broken off or theres something stuck inside the pump.
Im afraid you cannot get at the pump from the inside of the dishwasher.
What you need to do is make sure its unplugged and remove the outer wooden door.
Then you need to remove the wooden kick board at the bottom of your kitchen.
Then from there you will see a metal panel at the bottom of the dishwasher below the door.
Remove that panel.
Now you will see the drain pump on the far right at the front so you don't need to pull the dishwasher out.
This is a twist fit pump so you need to release the tab you will see on the pump and that will allow you to twist the pump off.
Once off you can see if theres anything stuck in there. If so free it off.
But if the pump impeller has come off then the pump will need to be replaced as if you refit it it will just come off again im afraid.
Once clear or a new pump fitted retry it and im sure that will sort the fault out from there.
If you need anymore info just get back to me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
right, will go try that!
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
No worries. If you get stuck just get back to me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Daniel, metal plate off, pump located and twisted off from black rubber large diameter hose. Pump impellers are ok, four and all intact. No blockage or debris inside pump or the black hose connecting to the grey sump housing...
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Ok if that's all clear refit the pump back in place and retry it and see how it goes.
As sometimes the blockage can come out as soon as you remove the pump with the water so you can actually miss it as ive done that myself a few times.
So make sure the water is soaked up from the base otherwise it will activate the flood switch so then retry it and see how it goes from there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right..refitted the pump, twist on, installed rubber O ring, twisted tight. Replaced metal cover. Replaced screws on inside of sump and fittings. Started cycle, noise a lot better...but now we have a serious leak all over the floor...:(
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
have turned off at wall.
will mop up.
and buy a new machine....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
any tips welcome on the leak!
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Is the rubber O ring fitted into the correct place on the pump as if it isn't then as soon as it fills it will pore water out from there.
But if it isn't the seal then when it fills can you see were the water is coming from?
Is it the pump?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we put the mental cover back on before we started the machine again. Will retry...
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
No worries try it with the panel off very carefully and see if you can see it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We managed to fit the O ring inside the black pipe and then fit the pump to the black tube. However the noise is still coming from the pump unit, like a misfiring, almost farting, gurling noise.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
on checking the rotors, they were in good shape and attached.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the pump seems to work at the start of the program, functioning and whirring. But when the second stage of the cycle kicks in, after about 15 seconds, the noise starts from the pump unit
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Ok so does it actually fill with water and then you hear the noise?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry, does what fill with water? the sump?
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
The dishwasher itself? Do you hear any water entering the dishwasher?
If you open the door is it full of water?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes the sump is full of water
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
to just beneath the filter silver plate
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Ok so if its filling with water then its got past the drain pump side so the noise you are hearing could actually be the wash motor instead as they are pretty much like a pump as they can go noisy and weak and doesn't spray the water around. As on these the drain pump only runs for a few seconds at the very start of a cycle.Then it fills with water and then the wash motor should kick in and spray the water around. So from the sounds of this I think the noise you are hearing is actually the wash motor rather then the drain pump as the motor sits just behind the pump but you need to remove the dishwasher to access this im afraid. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So where do we stand with 100% satisfaction...?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help, very good knowledge and understanding. I will need to get a professional in i think!
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
What I do is help you find and fix the fault. So in this case you will need to move the dishwasher and remove the motor and replace it from there to get it working.
Butt motors are quite expensive so sometimes not worth the repair as a motor can be about £140 roughly.
Im afraid as im on the other end of a computer I can only advise you of the fault from the problem you describe.
So its up to you how much help you think I have been. Just remember I can only advise on the fault not fix it for you im afraid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
right, dishwasher is out. Is there anything i can do to check the wash motor do you think?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help, at least we got to the point where we can no longer go.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Remove the right hand side panel and then lie it on its left hand side and remove the plastic base panel.Then from there just see if there water marks near the motor or signs of a leak there as sometimes the motors leak a little and jam up.If it looks fine then try and remove the motor. You will need to remove the hoses on there and just see if theres anything stuck in there like glass. This isn't an easy part to remove as its a very tight gap to try and get there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
oh man! here we go.......
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Good luck with it :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Daniel. we pulled the washer apart and found the pump. disconnected the pump hose and looked for debris. No debris. What a nightmare trying to get the clips back on the hose too the outlet port £$*@... anyway, turned it back right side up. Its for sure the motor wash pump, looks a little corroded. New washer on order. Thanks for the adventure...have a good one!
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry it turned out to be the motor. A new one is probberly the best option as they are quite expensive parts. As for access these are a nightmare to get at due them stupid clips at the back they use for the hoses. If you could rate the answer I gave that would be great. Regards
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.