Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

The door won't close on our upright Bosch freezer. Could it

The door won't close on our upright Bosch freezer. Could it be a blocked drain hole because the seal looks fine?
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Can you post the model number please.
Also when you say the door wont close is there ice at the bottom stopping the door from closing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It isn't ice because I took the drawers out and it still wouldn't suck closed. Will nip down and try and find the model number - it doesn't say on the front.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
KGE39BW41G KGEE34A
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Ok it wont be a blocked drain then as if that was the case ice would build up at the bottom so that's not the issue here. Once I know the model I will be able to see what build this is. The model number is ***** inside behind one of the drawers and starts E-nr.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
That model brings up a fridge freezer is that correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fridge on top with electronic temperature control panel at the very top, Freezer below.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
That's fine just wanted to check as at first you put down an upright freezer. As to the freezer door if you remove the baskets inside the freezer will the door close then?If it does then is it popping back open again? Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is some icing going on, but it is evenly spread around the inside of the freezer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried that and it still won't close :-(
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I might just empty the freezer and put the food in a box in the garage where it is already quite cold, then defrost it and see what happens.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Ok if it isn't closing with the baskets removed then its nothing to do with ice in there as with the baskets removed nothing is stopping the door from there so its nothing to do with ice if the baskets are removed and theres no ice on the bottom of the freezer. What could have happened is the door has dropped. You need to remove the fridge and freezer door.Open the fridge door and removing everything from the door.Then close the freezer door and keep fridge door open.Have someone hold the fridge door and then you need to remove the centre hinge that holds the door on.Then pull the freezer door down while its still closed and then the fridge door will come off the top hinge so lift it away.Now you can remove the freezer door.Check the bottom of the door and check it isn't broken. If so then it may need to be replaced if its bad,.If its not that bad then get a metal washer (biggish) and place that on the bottom hinge pin.Then refit the freezer door and then the top door and hinge in reverse order and see if this makes a difference on the freezer door.As if theres nothing stopping the door from closing then its either the hinge itself or the underside of the freezer door has broken. Try that if you can and see what you find and let me know. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Daniel, Yes I will do that but will have to wait til there is somebody else here with me. I am supposed to be out at a Green Party Meeting and get together in 5 minutes, and it is 15 minutes away. Meanwhile it can defrost because it probably needed doing anyway and I have already moved all the Oetekker pizzas, peas and icecream into the garage :-) Thank you for your help, and I will let you know how it goes - probably tomorrow, but if not then on Thursday. Monday was a very difficult day, Today not quite so bad - am hoping for a day with things going a bit easier tomorrow. Hope you have a good day too. K x
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
No worries that's fine.
Hopefully you have an easier day tomorrow, I know I need one :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Daniel, Today was comparatively great. I walked 16 dogs and didn't lose any, so that's an improvement on Monday! Also, the Freezer has been defrosted and it's amazing how frosty it had been. The reason the door wouldn't close is because I had knocked the defrost water spout out at the bottom !?!# So nothing as bad as we had feared! I was in the process of checking how the doors sucked shut and found the magnetic strip and came across the in-the-way water spout while I was down there looking. Hope your day was better too. Thank you for your help - I know where to come next time I am in a fix!! Best wishes. Kathy x
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Glad to hear you had a better day. To be honest I did to, Wasn't working till 6pm doing house calls so managed to get an early finish which isn't to bad :)
Glad to hear you got it sorted and was turned out to be a simple fix in the end.
Finger crossed that will be fine now.
If you could also rate the answer that would be great.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.