Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

My query as follows: Teka C1-340 combined fridge freezer,

Customer Question

My query as follows:
Teka C1-340 combined fridge freezer, however the fridge compartment fails to defrost & subsequently the back of fridge ices up aswell as food freezing. Despite switching off and melting ice after the switch on the fridge continues to ice up.
I would appreciate your remedy, thanking you,
Peter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
phone no +353872323899
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
For this fault im afraid its either the fridge NTC (temperature sensor) or the control unit at the top at fault here.
To check this you need to remove the control unit from the top of the appliance and there you can access the control board.
On there you will see a block of wires with 6 thin wires to it. This is for the NTC sensors. Theres 2 in the freezer and 1 for the fridge.
You need a multi meter and test them going from left to right.
They should give a reading in Kohms scale normally around 7K ohms roughly.
If any are faulty then its more then likely the fridge sensor at fault.
But if they all check out then its the control board at the top at fault here which will need to be replaced.
So check them out if you can and see what you find as for this its either the fridge NTC or the control board at fault.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi thanks for replying,If it is the sensors at fault, what will need to be done to rectify the problem?
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Just looking for it now and its bringing up a few versions for this.
If you look on the sticker inside the fridge do you see a service number that starts 85? If so can you post this.
Or if not is this frost free or just a normal freezer which the shelfs ice up?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Daniel T.
The fridge involved is located approx 2 hours from my home & I hope to visit & inspect fridge early coming week & follow your advice re fault finding. Thereafter, I shall update with your request, there is no sticker inside fridge with a service number. Is there a deadline on our contact? Thank you, Peter
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
No worries that's fine.
The reason I asked is theres 2 versions of that model. One has the electronic control with sensors and the other is just a basic thermostat.
So if when you remove the control panel at the top and if you see a thermostat only then this is the fault and will need to be replaced.
But if there is the a control board then its as above still.
And theres no dead line on this so just check it out when you can and just get back to me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Daniel T,
Thank you for your reply, will be in touch,
Peter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Daniel T,
On my home fridge which is an American, General Electric profile fridge freezer with ice maker & drinking water facility. The problem concerns the ice cube compartment outlet which ices over thereby blocking the outlet. I've emptied the cubes & removed ice from outlet, however the problem returns as prior. Hoping you can assist & thank you,
Peter
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry im a bit confussed here. At first we was talking about a Teka fridge that the fridge was getting to cold.
Now you say about a GE appliance which the ice maker isn't working. Are you still talking about the same appliance or is this a different one?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Daniel T,
I was describing a different case scenario with the GE fridge/freezer which is in my home kitchen.
I have viewed teka fridge today & my electrician got no ohms reading on the relevant wires, can you advise what new parts I require & suitable supplier for same, thank you
Peter
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Im with you now, Sorry got a bit confussed then but I know what you mean now. Its a different appliance you are asking about. First as to the teka fridge click here for the a website were you can get parts from. Its a Uk site but they do send out to Ireland so that shouldn't be a problem. As to the other fridge I don really get involve in GE appliances as we don't see them much in the UK. But what you need to check is the ice chut flp in the door. Make sure its closing fully as if it isn't then you get air coming through there and this causes it to ice up too much in there so that could be the issue. Also if you could rate the answer as well that would be great. This doesn't close the question so you can carry on asking questions on this as that's not a problem. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you confirm the part required for my teka fridge/freezer? Is it a control board?
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Is it the control board type?
As I did say theres 2 versions of that model. One has a basic thermostat and the other is the control board.
When you had it checked did they say there was a control board?
As this appliance will go off the service number on the rating plate to confirm the build type of appliance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Electrician stated he tested the 6 wires left to right, each pair 'were making' which he said indicated 'a short' or 'stats closed'. These 6 wires were a plug in type & on the far side were 4 wire also plug in. He mentioned 3 sensors/stats & super frost button & stated that it appeared to be a control board. Does that sound correct to you?
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ok if the 6 wires in the plug test ok when he tested them the sensor are fine so this just leaves the control board so yes that's correct here were the control board will need to be replaced here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Daniel T,
Thank you for reply, in relation to control board spare parts for teka there are 2 serial nos. (1) Teka -FC-340 (2) UN-FC1 - 340. Both photos seem similar but does either suffice in my case? I would appreciate your expert opinion, thank you, Peter
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
The second one is a listed model number but its actually FCI-340 not FC1-340
I have just found the part number for the control board but the bad news is the part is now obsolete so you will struggle to get hold of the part for this now.
The part number for the control board is 81634187