Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

I have a Rangemaster Professional Plus 110 Ceramic cooker /

Customer Question

I have a Rangemaster Professional Plus 110 Ceramic cooker / hob; some of the hob rings have become erratic (lights flicking on and off, heating to max despite being on a lower setting and / or not working at all ("e" error shown on digital display). I want to know if it's even worth trying to fix the problem, and if so what the most likely cause is and how to fix it, or if it's more economical to just call it a day and buy a replacement? Many thanks. Steve.
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.
Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries - usually this is just a case of the energy regulators being faulty. If you could give me the model number which is on a label in the bottom right draw I can give you an idea of the likely cost of the parts. If you have removed and replaced the timer its just a case of taking the top off and removing the regulator, doing a one for one swop on the cables.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help Ian. The problem is that the label that presumably had the model number on is nowhere to be found - is there anywhere else I can get this - I have the user manual and even that doesn't confirm it? is it a fairly straightforward self help job?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think it may be 8342
This link takes you straight to the part required -
http://www.rangemaster-spares.co.uk/energy-regulator-ego-5057071010/product.pl?pid=866220&query=8342
Should be a straight swop out. If you need further help come back on here. Would you now kindly rate the information given by using the star rating at the top of the page. If you need further help give me a call as once rated all further information is free of charge. - Ian
Can I be of further assistance? If you are happy with the answer would you kindly rate as requested above. Many thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've got the hob top off and have located what I think is the regulator (there is only one correct?). I've taken the wires off but could so with understanding exactly how I get the regulator off it's housing - thanks.
There is a regulator for every hotplate - I hope you have noted which connection the wires go to ? If you take off the knob you should see two screws behind that hold the regulator in place. On some models you have to take all the knobs off and the facia panel too.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The link you sent took me to a part of which there is only one (for the left hand oven); there are 2 similar parts (but not the same) for the knobs for the RH oven and the grill. The parts behind each of the 5 knobs for the hob rings are nothing like the part in the link. As its the hob I'm having the problem with I assume it's one of these parts I need? Please can you either give more detail or call me as I'm getting very confused. Thanks.
OK I need you to send me a picture of the regulator that you refer to, the original regulators were from a company called DiamondH (usually have a black or green cover) whilst the replacement item can be from EGO or Invensys
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It wont let me attached the photos? I think I've found the Hob Regulator part that is required and will order and try that. I know you were trying to help but I ordered the first part you suggested and now realise i don't need it have also been charged for taking a call from someone who I thought was you but was just able to pass on my number to you, so that's £25 for nothing, on top of the £22 charged for you support, which I'm OK with. Is there anything that can be done about the £13 call charge? Thanks.
I will speak to the moderator and get him to credit you with the £13 call charge, who did you speak to? You may find that the regulator that I sent you the link to fits as its the one on the rangemaster website for that model. You however might need a conversion sheet which I can supply if needed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The part you suggested will fit but it isn't needed as its an oven regulator not a hob regulator; the hob regulator is the smallets item in the attached photo (which I've now managed to attach), the larger item is the oven regulator - do you agree it is the Hib Regulator that I need to order? Every time I respond to you I keep getting an e-mail saying I've order a phone call - I hope I am not being charged (this first brief call was from George Allsopp?? or something like that. Thanks.
Yes but not on the 8342 model - you obviously have a different one to the one you were referring too. Those are electronic controls the 8342 has electro mechanical controls. Perhaps you can find the original model number and I can have a look for you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think this is where the confusion has set in - the serial number starts with 8531, which I'm pretty sure is the Model No. thanks.
Completely different animal - for that one you need this part -
http://www.rangemaster-spares.co.uk/energy-regulator-simmerstat/product.pl?pid=1799128&query=8531
As its the weekend you should be able to cancel the other part ordered and change it for the above.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I've tried swapping a few of the existing part over to see if it was definitely this that is causing the issue but when I move a part that works on one ring to another that isn't (the centre ring) the error still occurs - the display flashes E4 - have you any idea what else it might be? I will replace all the 5 simmerstats just in case but if it's not this what is the next most likely cause - I'll leave you alone then! Thanks, Steve.
Its a shame that you didn't tell me this at the start, E4 is a communications failure between the main pcbs, its usually means that one of the two is defective although it can be the cable between the two. First thing is check the cables, perhaps you will get lucky.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for being thick but I'm a complete novice at this - what is the PCBS and where is it. Other than checking to see if the cables aren't kinked and are connected what is it I need to do check the cable and that doesn't work is the "PCBS" easily replaceable? Thanks.
According to the information given this is an Rangemaster induction range cooker, that is it uses induction plates to heat the food. These use special hotplates that are electronically controlled to generate a magnetic field within the steel/iron pan which is controlled by printed circuit boards. In general you have a control module that takes your instructions and power board that feeds electric to the induction plate. These are connected by cables (often a ribbon cable) to allow two way communication between the two pcbs. You fault indicates that this two way communication is not happening.
This range may have a ceramic (glass) hob top but is not a ceramic hob which uses ceramic rings.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So is it possible to replace either the connecting ribbon / wire or the board - I just need to know if I'm flogging a dead horse - it's great to understand what's causing the problem but I need to know what to do to solve it. Thanks.
http://www.rangemaster-spares.co.uk/cooker-oven/8531-110-stainless-steel-ind/module/product.pl?pid=1797454&path=601276&model_ref=653014
http://www.rangemaster-spares.co.uk/cooker-oven/8531-110-stainless-steel-ind/pcb/product.pl?pid=1891276&path=601276&model_ref=653014
This illustrates just two of the three different boards each which interconnects --
If I were you I would contact Rangemaster and get them to send out an engineer. In the long run that will save you money rather than just changing parts by guesswork. Induction hobs are not a task for the novice - I've been in this business for 25 years and still have problems with them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, thanks for all your help, it's appreciated. Cheers.
No worries - have a good evening.