Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

My Classixx Fridge Freezer [some 10 years old] blew the fuse

Customer Question

My Classixx Fridge Freezer [some 10 years old] blew the fuse for the kitchen twice. I saw that mice had invaded the plastic shelf at the rear. The plug and wire have not been chewed but is it possible that their droppings short-circuited the connections inside the square black box? If so, does the metal clasp around it come off so that I can check? I cannot move it with minimal leverage from a screw-driver. Should I force it?
Thank you. Your washing machine has lasted over 20 years. Thank you for high quality products.
Best wishes,
John
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.
Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries- what is more likely is that a mouse has got inside the electrics cover and shorted the whole thing out. As numerous different compressors have been fitted could you let me have the manufacturer and model number of the compressor please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear *****, Apologies for missing your response yesterday. It's a Matsushita. Below the bar code: 6N2RW 5025 MB3534117. Below that is: DC110E10RAW5R600. I hope that is what you need. If I can fix this, I will need instructions on how to open it up. Thank you. John
OK power off to start with, then force the clip in from the side towards the compressor body whilst at the same time pulling out the end that is clipped on to the body of the compressor. Once you have one side off you can wiggle the other side off. You should then be able to remove the electrics cover to view the connections.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear *****, Only just read your message. Thank you. I will try in about an hour's time. Best wishes, John
OK I'm around
Experience: I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
I believe my friend George has been talking to you, do you have a problem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, thought you had gone home so attended to other matters. The metal band around the square black box next to the large cylindrical body [is that the compressor?] does not yield to the instructions George gave me. My phone is on if you need to call. Thank you. John
I tried the number given by George but it goes to voice mail.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. It worked! Then blew. Mains wire slipped off bracket. Took ages to find clamp and fuse. Firmly fixed. Tried again. Nothing. Tried another wall socket. Nothing. Didn't blow though. I guess each email/call costs so hope your next will be the last one needed. Thanks. John. [I'll open my email in the morning]
OK I'll list here what you must do in order,
a Check that the plug fuse is OK if not change.
b.Remove cover again and unplug the relay and overload assembly from the compressor. Place it on a bag or something away from any metal and plug in the electric switch on and see what happens, leave it for a few minutes to be sure. If it doesnt trip the fuse. Power off If it does then this is faulty. if its ok move to c.
c. Replug relay and overload (no cover at this stage) and power up, leave it to run for a while. If it now blows the circuit breaker then the compressor is faulty. If this is the situation then think carefully about the repair which could cost upwards of £200
Come back to me if you need further help, there is now extra cost hereon as you have already paid for the service. Good Luck -- Ian