Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

Steamed my rangemaster hob. Now igniter makes a faint noise

Steamed my rangemaster hob.
Now igniter makes a faint noise and does not ignite.
This is th case for all six rings.
Gas and electric supply fine.
Any clues?
Chheers
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
What has happened here is moisture has got onto the spark leads or spark generators which is causing this fault here.
What you need to do is remove all the pan stands and all the burners and caps and then turn the power off to the cooker.
Then get a hairdryer and you need to heat each spark lead which you will see its the little white probe. Do this on all of them and get it hot so it drys the moisture out of them.
Then remove the hob control knobs buy pulling them and do the same with the hairdyer in there. Aim it into each part were the knobs go.
Then refit the knobs and burners and retry the hobs and see what happens from there. Fingers crossed this has sorted it.
But if not then leave it 24 hours and see if it sorts itself once its dried out.
But if still the same after all that then its more then likely the spark generator at fault under the hob which will need to be replaced to cure this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will dry hairdryer now. Although it has been 24 hours since I steamed. Cheers. I will crack on
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
No worries, Just see how it goes. But if its been 24 hours already then the spark generator may be faulty here as this is just under the hob so moisture could have got on there and caused it to fail as I have seen this before a lot.