Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have a hotpoint wma76 and it goes into a spin even when out

Customer Question

i have a hotpoint wma76 and it goes into a spin even when out of balance also its not spinning for very long on the final spin it only spins at 1600 for about 20 seconds at the end it does a cycle and no error it has had a motor changed and all three pc board to and still the same
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also when select a progrome the time starts at 1hr 35 then it jumps to 1hr55 there is nothing left to change on it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have even changed the pressure switch to
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome to Just answer .... if you have already checked the sump hose and there are no blockages any where then it seems the bearing will need replacement.________________________________________________________________________________________If you have further questions I will be pleased to assist you .. Please remember to RATE my answer Excellent or Good Service when you are satisfied....Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there nothing wrong with bearings they were changed and they run very freely to the machine works but it deosnt spin propally it get to the 11mins spins slow then stops tumbles spins again and increases the speed time goes quickly to then slows down and then at 4 mins it starts again speeds up then goes to full speed when 3 mins come on display gets to full speed 20 seconds slows down and that's it tumbles and stops
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its a electric fault I'm sure but need help to sort it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
and bearing wouldn't make time change
If the bearing is fine then check the wire harness from PCB to the motor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ive checked them and metered them as well and all ok
it does the same everytime so there no broken wires or anything
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its had every board changed and new motor to
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when it gets to full speed the display minutes drop fast it drops 2 mins in 30 seconds
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm pretty good on machines but this has me stumped hence why i asked you
ok and how about the drain pump ? that was checked as well ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes got another pump aswell and still the same
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can we talk on phone
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if you give me your number ill call you
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 12 months ago.
I think the problem is mechanical as you have already changed most of the parts... I will opt out of this and open it to all so that someone else can assist you....You can call me at #631(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
that number is ***** recognised cant get through
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
have looked at machine again and checked everything and cant see anything wrong mechanically
and if its mechanical why isn't the out of balance working it just goes to slow spin regaurdless of how uneven the load is and it should try to re distribute it
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 12 months ago.
Looks like Kevin has opted out of this do you still need help?
If so if the washer still doing the same thing before all the control boards were replaced?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
yes still need help
yes it was
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
it use to give a good spin at full speed then i noticed that it spun even if the load was unbalacened and then saw that it not spinning correctly
Ok so just to confirm you have replaced the chopper board at the bottom of the washer, The front board at the top and the motor and its still doing the same fault?
Have you checked the wiring for the motor at the bottom were it runs from the motor up round the concrete weight as the wires like to rub on the weight there and break.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
have replaced the chopper board the motor the display board and the board at the top have metered the wires from the board to motor
the motor was changed because it only went one way
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
the spin cycle is exactly the same everytime i select it slow spin for a minute then tumbles then spins again and increases spin then tumbles then it got 5 mins on display starts off slow and increses spins at about 800 for a minute then slows down display says 3 mins and starts goes up quickly in stages then it increases speed to full which when it get there spins for 20 seconds display says 2 mins slows down and stops display thengoes down to 1 min very quickly tumbles then stops
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
when it first started going wrong i got an repair guy in he had another top board with himand changed it as he thought that was the problemit didn't stop problem but it didn't spin at all then he put old board back and then had to get motor
Ok so bascally you have replaced every part that is involved in the motor circuit and the wiring is fine as well. So theres nothing else left in the motor circuit here as I see you have replaced the pressure switch as well so that's every single part replaced.
When its stopped the spin are the clothes still wet?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
no it spun but towels etc are not good i put in back on 4 to 5 times to spin them
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
and the other thing as i said in the beginging was that when you select 40 cottons 1hr25 come up as time to finish which is right when its filled up and tumbled once this changes to 1hr55 and 90 cottons takes over 3 hr now
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
can i get a wiring diagram for it and check each wire
Just a thought as well on this as it shouldn't really cause a fault on the spin but it will effect the wash side is the heater element at the back of the drum at the bottom. Have you tested this for resistance? It should read about 28 Ohms roughly so check that and see what you find. As to the wiring diagram give me a few minutes and I will upload it for you. Regards
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
heaters at back bottom and that the only thing ive not tryed machines heating ok so didn't think of that will check in the morning
also ive just heard the water valves click at end of spin now when the door interlock goes off
No worries just check the heater when you can and see what you find. As I said I don't think this will effect the spin but it can effect the wash and keeps it washing for hours. As to the wiring diagram click here and then you can download it from there. Also when you replaced the main control board did you program it up to the correct program as if you didn't this can effect the programs and spin speed on there so that could be the cause as well.What ive done also is uploaded the programming instructions so check that and see if yours is programmed correctly as I think that could be the cause of the problem here. Click below for programming instructions.Page 1Page 2 Let me know how it goes. Regards Regards
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
thankyou for that ill check in the morning and let you know
No worries
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
i have today checked every wire to make sure that its right cant see nothing wrong but have found a little more info when it goes to fast spin it get there for 20 second thenthe pump turns off and it slows down when the drum stops turning the pump comes back on and it tumbles then turns off also while waiting for interlock to open the pump keeps tryiny to start
Did you check the programming code is the correct one from when you replaced the control board?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
yes was correct have old boaeds so have changed them to
Ok then im afraid none of this makes sense as you have replaced every single part in there that can cause this fault. As all that's left is the water valves and pump and none of them will cause this fault. What you say the washer is doing does actually sound correct as the spin cycle builds up to the fast spin at the end of it but it should spin at full speed for longer then 20 seconds.Then it slows down and the pump stops so that's normal.Then once the drum has stopped the pump comes back on to get rid of anymore water and then it tumbles and then the lock will release.So from what you say it does sound normal for the spin but it should get the clothes dry while on spin and not leave them wet still. So its either a faulty new electronic or one of them is wrong. I don't suppose you have the part numbers of the boards you have replace and I can double check them for you?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
i will check in the morningand get them
the bit that confuses me is why when its got to full speed the pump and motor switch of
also if i put it onto 800 spin it works correctly can the motor send information to the board
The tacho does send the signal to the board but if that was the fault it wont work on the 800 spin so the motor wont be the cause of this fault.
Its more electronic fault with the control board that's causing this fault so the motor should be the fault here.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
have both motors here and they both do the same I don't know what left to do now ive check every wire over the weekend and they are all correct
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
here is the boards no
gda(###) ###-####gda(###) ###-####GDA(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
https://youtu.be/Jr7KkanRV1o
HERE IS A VIDEO FROM YOU TUBE AND AS YOU CAN SEE THE LAST SPIN IS QUIET A WHILE THIS IS HOW IT USE TO BE
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 11 months ago.
Hi Watching that video clip the washer seemed to be working how it should be.What is it actually doing wrong on the spin as that just seemed normal from what I just seen. Regards
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
yes the clip from you tube is how mine machine use to worked but not its nothing like that at all
ive just done a wash in it 60 degree mini load it jumped up to 2 hour 15mins when it got to 59 minutes i pushed the fwd button the machine went to 45 mins for rinses and the final spin was ok spun for a good 2 mins on 1600
i then put it back onto a spin only cycle and back to how it was only 20 sec 1600 spin
Im with you know. This has to be a faulty main control board here. Its nothing to do with the motor or the chopper board at the bottom as if it was then the motor wont work at all. All the wiring is fine as you have checked that's all that's left here is the control board as theres nothing else left in there. The water valves, pump wont cause this. The pressure switch is new and the heater tests ok so it has to be a fault with the electronic control board here im afraid. It has to be as theres nothing else in there that will cause this fault.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
but its had a new one aswell
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ive put every board on this machine new when you say control board you referring to the one one the facal or the one behind it
The one behind the fascia board as that's the main power board.
I know you say you have replaced every board in there and the motor and pressure switch and the wiring is fine so that's basically every thing that could cause this fault. So its either one of them at fault or theres a short in the wiring loom somewere. It has to be one them as there isn't anything left in there.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ive now got
2 control boards
3 power boards
2 chopper board
ive try everyway to mix them but the same
as i said when i washed a load the other day i pushed the fwd button to advance it onto rinses and the machine spin perfect but now gone back to not spinning
also fast wash is a laugh starts 35mins after 5 mins empties water then goes from 28 mins to 13mins starts to fill up 30 sec pumps out and spins for a bit then ends
i think its to do with the timing of the board
From what you say its a timming issue on the board that's causing this so its very strange how you have replaced 3 of them and its still doing the same.
As this is an older model so they don't really have sensors in there like modern ones do so if it picks up a fault its alters the time, This model washer doesn't do anything like this as the times are all preprogammed.
The only thing I can think of is the waste hose. Check this is at least 3/4 the height of the washer and if the hose goes into a stand pipe just make sure its not pushed all the way down as this can cause the washer to shyphon out so can affect the cycle.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
hi got a new control board fitted it and the same but ive now found out that if i put it on 60 degrees knock the temp down to 40 and when the time on the front is an hour left push the fwd button and the machine will spin propallyit not an answer but i think ill have to do this until it breaks down as im not spending anymore money on it
Ok did you manage to check the heater out?
Test it for continuity and also test it to earth. As if the heater is leaking to earth this can causes strange faults.
But if that's all ok then its a very strange fault what you have. But as you have least sort of got it going at least you can use it now.