Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

I have a Beko CDA752FW/1 fridge-freezer. The fridge section

Customer Question

I have a Beko CDA752FW/1 fridge-freezer. The fridge section has started to ice up at the back over a rectangular area. It is turned right down to min setting. Someone suggested that this was due to a faulty sensor which is buried into the rear insulation. is this right ? is it repairable ?
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.
Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries - yes it has and if this has failed then the unit is not repairable. However it is not always this that causes the problem as it is fitted with an electronic thermostat which also fails or you could be short of refrigerant - what is the temperature in the fridge like? Is the milk warm or freezing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When it first happened some food like salad started to freeze, so we turned it right down to lowest setting and put a thermometer in. Now it is about 5 degrees C.
OK can you just monitor it for a while (over a couple of hours) and tell me if it actually stops running or not? Secondly, if you open the door and put an ear towards the back can you hear a hissing or a gurgling?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm at work just now but will check later. When you say stops running, what am i looking for exactly ?
OK let me explain, the system as you are aware is automatic defrost, that is it switches itself off from time to time to defrost throughout. However, if it loses a quantity of refrigerant it never reaches the temperature required to switch off and the motor runs continuously. In this case you get a build up of ice at the back Whilst you look in the fridge and expect it to be at around +2C the sensor is bolted to the coldplate (behind the plastic) which is running at -20C. If you lose refrigerant and the coldplate is only running at -13C whilst it is still cold in the fridge the set temperature of -20C is never reached and the system never shuts down for a defrost. Hence the question. Does the compressor (motor at the back) stop running and if you put your hand on it is it hot or just warm?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks. Was your question about hissing/gurgling related to the refrigerant ?
Yes, if you hear a hissing then usually the system is working correctly, if on the other hand its a gurgling like water running you often are short of refrigerant.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't hear any hissing or gurgling, but I do hear a clicking or popping noise from the back. I'll need to pull the machine out to check the compressor motor - I'll give it a try tonight.
OK I'm online now.