Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

I have a siemens fridge freezer which is 15 years old.

Hello. I have a siemens fridge freezer which is 15 years old. After years of brilliant service, it has started to build up a layer of frost in the back wall of the fridge. the seals are good and i haven't been putting warm food into the fridge. I defrosted the whole thing the other day..but the frost came straight back.
Can you suggest any solutions at all? I prefer to get this fixed rather than replace to if it is possible.
Thanks. Mrs. Jo Price.
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.
Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries ~ Hi Jo, what you have to establish is the temperature in the fridge. Once this is established we can resolve the problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HI Ian. I have placed a thermometer inside my fridge. I will leave it there a couple of hours and report back to you on the temperature reading. Thanks.
OK speak to you in a little while.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok..the temperature is between 5 and 6 degrees c. the frost on the back wall is soft like snow. I spoke to a man at the Siemans HQ and he said he could send out an engineer, but with the age of the appliance he couldn't say if the parts would still be available. This would cost £99 whether or not the fridge freezer could be repaired..so i thought that may mean I'd be spending money for no reason. What do you think?
OK that is a little too high, if you can turn up the thermostat and recheck in the morning we will have a better idea, I also need you to keep an eye on whether the motor is switching on and off OR if it seems to be running all the time. I am out early tomorrow but should be back at about 5pm so I would suggest you let it run until then and come back to me with your results. Like you I would rather keep the old girl going than throw her away.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And now its down to 3 degrees. Speak tomorrow.
Keep an eye on it, especially to see if it switches on and off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ian..been away a couple of days..but back now. temp in fridge seems to be a constant 2/3 degrees now, frost still there. I can't detect the motor going on and off though..just a constant low hum.
OK Can you discount the fan motor if fitted inside the appliance and confirm that it is the motor (compressor) that is running constantly running and if possible can you put your hand on the motor and tell me if it is hot or just warm.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tues 15th. Hi Ian. Jo here again. Well my fridge definitely isn't switching on and off..what does this mean? Can you advise me what can be done to rescue me from the building frost wall? Temperature in fridge a steady 1-2 degrees..which seems cooler than before all the frost started..it seems to me that maybe the thermostat isn't working any more..if that is the case would it be mendable?
OK Jo - thats what I wanted to know, you have one of two problems, either the appliance is short of refrigerant (ie not getting to the temperature that the thermostat needs to switch off) or you have a faulty thermostat/temperature sensor. Without the full ENr I cants say whether thermostat or sensor. I feel from what you have told me that it is likely to be short of refrigerant and will need topping up (depending upon which refrigerant). If you can find the ENr I can tell you for sure. In both cases you will need an engineer to come out and have a look, but before you do let me have the ENr and I can check what spare parts are still available - Ian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK Ian..heres my ENr..KS39V [or that could be a 'U'..hard to read] 71GB/05. Sounds like it may be mendable then..hope so.
! Wil wait to hear from you..will be out tip 4pm today.
Thanks Ian.
OK will catch up with you later on my return to the office.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ian..its Jo here. I was just waiting to hear whether you managed to find out if spare parts are still available for my ailing fridge freezer. The freezer is incredibly cold now..billowing vapour when I open the freezer compartment. I just need your findings before I get an engineer out. Thanks for your help. Cheers!
OK the model number is ***** KS39V71GB/05 for reference, many of the parts are available on the Siemens website including the temperature control thermostat which is part number 00182792 (Ranco K59/P6834) and available at £21.64p if needed. If you get a decent engineer out he will be able to do either job indicated above. Topping up the refrigerant is a daily task for a refrigeration engineer and at least you know that the thermostat is also available.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks very much Ian..you have really helped me with this. Merry Christmas! Jo.
A pleasure Jo - would you now kindly rate the information given using the star rating system at the top of the page. This allows me to close the job down on the system whilst at the same time lets you ask further questions on a foc basis should you require to do so. Thanks for using JA and have a Merry Christmas too xox