Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

I have a morphy richards 47008 cappucino maker.When I try to

Customer Question

I have a morphy richards 47008 cappucino maker.When I try to start it the ready light comes on immediately so it won't start heating the water to produce the coffee. Is this easily fixed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You have told me I would get an answer in 8 minutes and that was two and a half hours ago. Can you please respond NOW!
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am Tech Michael a specialist expert in this field and I will be assisting you today. I am a Master Technician that's dedicated to giving you the best Answer possible.If you are new to the site, this is briefly how it works:1. We may need some back and forth to exchange information (if needed) and there is no extra cost for replying.2. I will give you the best possible Answer for your problem without the ability of actually being present with you.The better you describe the problem, the quicker I can help ;-)3. Remember to leave a Positive Rating after we're finished. it doesn't cost anything additional to rate kindly;-)I am only compensated for my time and expertise if you rate kindly.How old is your cappuccino maker? Also have you regularly descaled this one?And when it was working last was it getting slower at brewing or was it still working normally up until this problem hapned, that will tell me a lot as to what needs to be done to fix this one.Also does it get a lot of use?Thank youTech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The machine was working fine until it stopped. It looks like an electrical problem as when we press the start button to start the water being heated and then filtered through the coffee the 'ready' light comes on immediately. That should only happen when the coffee is ready to drink and the filtering is finished.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that information.As for the answer, what they actually mean is an answer is give site wide every 8 minutes. These are technical issues and we need some back and forth to be sure we know exactly what is wrong to provide the correct answer that will solve your problem. We pride ourselves on our reputation with such things;-)Thank you for your understanding and patience.Also how old is your Cappuccino maker?I see that you have requested a phone call, I cant call the UK from here in the US, but I will send you the offer, if you accept that you can call me, I will include my phone # ***** you accept the offer.Then we can talk about this an I will tell you exactly what needs to be replaced, and the best place to order the part;-)Thank youTech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That 8 minute answer is just plain misleading--it claims to be a calculated figure for my answer. But let that pass.The machine in only about one year old--I got it on eBay and it hadn't been used. Can't see what relevance that has.I thought the phone call was cost free--I'm not willing to pay £4 or any other figure ubtil at least I believe you can solve the problem. I don't believe that yet. You seem very defensive about your reputation--it would be more helpful if you applied your 'expertise' to solving my problem. When we try to start a coffee brew the 'ready ' light comes on immediately so the brew never starts. Do you have any experience of this particular problem and can you offer specific thoughts on how to get it solved on this particular machine?
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi I agree with you, but I am only an independent technician that can help you. But since it is technical, I need the information so I can tell you what part is causing the fault.Make sense?Anyway I will work with you until we have this fixed one way or another. The problem you have is most likely the brewing heater, they can fail due to a fuse that is in line with that part, or the heater itself is bad.When the main control board senses that there is an open circuit there it will do exactly what you machine is doing. It is pretty easy to replace and for a lot less than if you send it in for this service. All you need are a few basic hand tools and the part. i will help you get the part, from the best possible source and I will stick with you until your machine is fully operational for no more than you already paid. But please understand why I ask for patience.Thank youTech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That all sounds very relevant. Are you familiar with this particular machine , which is no longer made? I|f there is an inline fuse then I need to know how to access it and I am pleased you say it is easy to replace. But having looked at the machine it seems to need a lot of effort to open it--there are about a dozen screws in the base that would need to be undone to lift the main part of the machine off the base. And i can see no sign of an accessible fuse--but maybe I've missed it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could it even be the fuse in the contact plug that has gone? The contact is sealed so I would have to replace the whole plug to change it.On reflection it can't be that main fuse as the unit does have power.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi , it wouldn't be a fuse in the plug that is bad as the machine does still get power as indicted by the light that does come on for a second. But there is an inline fuse directly attached to the heater element.It is a bit of a process to get the machine open but its really just a matter of removing the screws.A good tip for this, is to take pics with your phone or a digital camera as you go, so you remember exactly how it all goes back together lol;-)I have found that the part you need is still available as it is a common fuse (if its just the fuse that is bad). Also, if it is the heater element, that is also still readily available, and I will souce that for you on Monday when i can verify that that tey actually have at least 1 in stock for you to order. I have other sources for this part as well.In any case, I will stick with you until this is complete.Please rate kindly thus far, it won't cost you anything to rate my service to you kindly,Then you can reach me by simply replying to this message anytime.Thank you and have a nice weekend!Tech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I'll see if I can get the bottom to come off and will then contact you again on how to replace the fuse or heater element. Have a good weekend too!
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi, you bet.Please rate kindly at this time so I can stick with you , it also prevents your question from timing out, which sometimes happens otherwise lol. There is no cost to rate. Have a nice weekend!Tech Mike
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have all but two screws free in the base but those two don't have normal screw heads. I will se if my son c an help me get them off but if you have any thoughts, I would welcome them.A normal screwdriver won't engage--looks like it needa two small prongs to engage with the top of the screw. But they are holding the base in place so I can't get it off until I get them off.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi can you describe the screw heads, they are likely security screws which would require the security bit set to remove. But what i do when I come across this situation, is if possible I will us a rotary tool to wear a groove in the head of the screw so I can simply use a flat tipped screwdriver to remove them;-)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you were familiar with the device you would know that the screws sit down at least 1/2" below the surface so no rotary tool could reach them.I| will get help elsewhere.i have notified Just Answer that I do not wish to continue my membership and given notice of termination. I assume what we have done so far will come under the 7 days free trial so abundantly advertised on the website. I have asked for a refund of the £20 already taken. I also said I would notify you of my decision, which I now do.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi I am fully aware of the screw situation and location. I have a rotary tool expression for my Dremel tool that works well to cut a groove in those screws without damaging the plastic housing even though it sits down low. I also mentioned to you that you can get a security bit set remember?In any case I will send this one customer service for a refund. If you would still like to continue I will work with you until you have this working again. This is a technical issue and I have no control of whether you have the tools needed to complete the work, but I could point you to where to get the bit set you need to do this with ease.Please let me know on that?Thank you and have a wonderful day, I am here to help.Tech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I understand you correctly you are agreeing to my refund request. If so, i am grateful.If not, please tell me what you have written means.So I will not continue with the question issue but am reasonable confident I can resolve it in the end
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi yes I sent this for refund processing for you, sometimes things dont work out for some reason, its rare but it happens lol;-)Some customers really aren't skilled in that area is all. And they find it difficult to make such repairs even with our help.As for the term "written" is just that I did mention how to do this with me, I would gladly work with you on this. Yes some parts are no longer made for this model, but...the fuse I am talking about is a very commonly used replacement part acceptable in every way for this purpose. Its a standard component. Such as, if your car blows a fuse, some parts for your car may not still be made, but the fuses most certainly are lol;-)I have been a hands on technician with appliances and coffee makers for over 35 years so I am sure of the most likely issue especially with your model the Morphy Richards 47008 Cappuccino Maker.I would glad yo continue with you as I knwo repair shops charge A LOT for this fix.I will check to see if there is a diagram for dis assembly or maybe you know someone with these mechanical skills that could help you?In any case, please let me know on all that.Thank you and have a wonderful holiday season.Tech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,Michael. My son helped me undo the two difficult screws so I was bale to get the base off. We couldn't see any fuse. Maybe the sensor that checks if water is coming through isn't working properly.We checked that the water passage is clear and it is.|it did brew for a few minutes but then the light came on again before all the water was used. So we have more work to do to work out which part may need replacing!But i don't expect you to spend more time on this after agreeing the refund. Thanks for your time.Looks like Morphy Richards don't want these machines to be repaired by the user!!
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi thanks, ***** ***** the heater elements are located, there should be a thermal fuse soldered or crimp connected to the leads to them.Let me knwo what you see?ThanksTech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I took some photos after the base was removed and was going to send them . But when I click 'Add files' the system doesn't respond so I guess it won't let me do that. But thank you for the offer anyway.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi I get pics all the time here lol, hope you can figure out how to send them from your computer?In any case, I will stick with you until this is complete.Please rate kindly thus far, it won't cost you anything to rate my service to you kindly,Also it is the only way I am credited for my time and expertise in this field.Then you can reach me by simply replying to this message anytime.Thank you and have a nice weekend and a wonderful holiday season!Tech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** are very helpful.I think the photos are attached below so hope you can open them.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi thanks for the pics and kind words.What you need to do is check under all the white tubing at the ends of the wires in pic one.If you find a fuse under one instead of just a wired connection test them for conductivity. One will likely be bad. You will need a cheap meter for this step.Also the round component in the middle is also a thermal part, it needs the same test, but you need to pull off the wires form it first to avoid a false reading.Please rate my service so I cn stick with you, otherwise your question could close unexpectedly. Once you rate, I will be notified and will put your question in my priority list so we can continue. There is NO cost to rate.Thank youTech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks again.I can't see how to rate you again as I already rated you and that shows at the top of the page.We are going away for the weekend tomorrow so I'll continue on Monday. I'll check under the white tubing as you suggest.