Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

Dishwasher s51m63x1gb has e15 code. How do I fix this ple

Customer Question

Dishwasher s51m63x1gb has e15 code. How do I fix this please?
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.
Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries - this means that you have water in the base of the appliance, bearing in mind that it is a built-in unit you need to have the following tools if you want me to take you through its repair, you will need a Torx T20 and T15 screwdriver.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have both of those bits. The error has cleared by itself. I checked underneath and can't see any water leaks (externally).
It has just completed a wash cycle OK. What do you think the problem could be? What's the best next action please?
The error is generated if the dishwasher leaks in to the base where a microswitch is activated and stops the appliance running. If you take off the front kickstrip and then drop the door and remove the metal kickplate you can if you remove the sound deadening material shine a torch in which will show if any leak has occured. If so then with the power off shove a towel in and let it soak up the water until its dry there. If it occurs again then you will have to pull the washer out take off the sides and find out where its leaking from.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ian,
Thanks for that. Please could you tell me more about the kick plate removal. Is it the steel one in this photo? How is it removed - what is the screw for in centre of the plastic base (it can be turned easily)?
Yes thats the one, its a bit of a fiddle but if you drop the door down and then lay on the floor and peer under you will see two screws (Torx) one at each side. Take these out and with a bit of wiggling the plate will come out. Then depending upon model you have sound deadening to move out of the way and then you can see if you have a leak.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ian, thank you. Given that dw seems to be working at present do you think I should delay the action and do it if/when the problem occurs again? If I do this can I keep my question to you open and come back to you later? What usually causes the leak (eg is it a motor shaft seal?) and is it easy/cheap to repair? The dishwasher is about 4yrs old and has not had heavy use with just 2 of us at home most of the time.
Brian
I would personally do it now whilst you have the kick strip off, its not too much of a job just a fiddle. If you put it all back together and it fails on the next wash you will have the whole thing to do again. Regarding coming back to me, yes once you have rated the advice using the star rating above you can come back to it at any time in the future. If however you dont rate the service the system automatically deletes it after seven days.
Experience: I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ian
Thanks. I'll give it a go. The screws are a fiddle to get at but with a short screw driver I can remove them. The thing would be easier if the cupboard door was off. How do you do that, please. I guess it's the screws around the edge inside the door. Would you recommend removing the outside door?
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I removed the plate and sound deadening. I found the inside floor had a slight quantity of liquid - I.e. It was not completely dry perhaps 10ml water. There is a kind of drain hole in the base and me feeling inside caused a drip to come out of that. Could it be condensation or is it a leak? What should be the next step? It finished a 29 min cycle after the e15 fault which occurred on a long Eco cycle 2h 25 I think.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ian
The E15 fault has occurred again. I managed to dry up the water with some kitchen paper. What is the next step to fix the problem, please?
Best wishes
Brian
OK, you now have to find out where the leak is which is no simple job, its a case of having the appliance on with the front kick plate off and seeing where the water is dripping from. A bit basic but the only way you are going to find the leak is to run the machine. Once you have located the leak come back to me and we can discuss how to fix it depending upon where it is.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ian
Is it possible to run it with the decorative door removed? With the door closed I'd need to fiddle with a mirror to see where/what is dripping.
Brian
Yes you can move it out of its enclosure, take the sides off and run it with the door closed, that's the way I would go it, you would benefit from a good torch too.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ian
Is it easy to get the sides off? What about the decorative door - remove it or not?
Brian
I would leave the door on and take the sides off just two screws (three sometimes) ! below the door.