Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

May tag F/F motor runs then after a while a sparking crackling

May tag F/F motor runs then after a while a sparking crackling noise motor still runs but not cooling the compartments?
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.
Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries - there are a number of motors in the unit are you talking about one inside the cabinet or one at the back?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Ian
This is a noise coming from what appears to be underneath the fridge freezer and the sparking is coming from that area so in answer to your question I would say outside of the cabinet thank you. As a matter of information the fridge freezer is an American style two door I do have the model number if you wish.
OK I need you to pull the appliance forward, remove the back panel and have a look in the motor area (the black thing is called a compressor) and tell me if you can see burnt wires or where its sparking/arcing from? Dont worry too much about the model number at this point lets get the general things sorted first.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Ian
I have removed the back cover and attach a photo of the plug body that is attached to I believe the round compressor unit as you will see there is some signs of burning on the plug body.
***** *****
Sorry for delay just had to collect my daughter from the train station, yes it does look like that is your problem, if you could let me have the make and model of the compressor or take a picture of the label I will see if the start relay and overload assembly is available as a separate item.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Ian
I attach a photo of the label on the compressor and below is the number just in case you cannot read it regards
***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Ian
I have had the fridge freezer running for a little while to see if the shorting noise started again but it's continue to run and the compressor is now quite hot is this normal?
***** *****
If it is the start part of the relay and overload it will only fizz when the motor stops and then restarts. Can you tell me what refrigerant the appliance uses, it will be listed on the compressor or inside the unit, you are looking
for either R134a or R600a.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Ian
I've checked all over the back of the fridge freezer and inside on the compressor, there are no labels or any indication of what the gas is. I've checked also in all the documents I have but to no avail. The fizzing that you referred to did happen when the motor stopped and started with and ozone smell. The unit lost its cooing capacity over a few days my wife has just told me.
***** *****
On mine its in the refrigerator section left hand side second 'fresh produce' draw up. There is a legal requirement for this label to be visible for a service engineer to view as many refrigerants these days are inflammable.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Ian
It's R134a
John
OK and the temperature of the compressor? Hot or just warm?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ian
Hot
John
OK this is what I think is happening from what you have told me. The relay and overload assembly is in effect a thermal cutout to stop the compressor from bursting into flames should it overheat, it is measuring the temperature of the metal casing of the compressor. It also measures the current that is used to start the motor so that in the event of a seizure it shuts everything down. From a refrigeration point of view as you are aware it is used to pump refrigerant around the system to cool the food, what however is not known is that this returning refrigerant is used to keep the compressor cool. If for some reason you lose a quantity of refrigerant so the ability of the compressor to cool the food together with the lack of cooling to the compressor which then overheats. The result of this is that the compressor starts to cycle on and off with the compressor temperature rather than the thermostat controlling the unit temperature. I think you have a situation that requires a refrigeration engineer to come and recharge your unit - likely also change the relay and overload or a least change the connectors that connect to it. Refrigerant R134a is not inflammable so no need to worry about that.
Do you require further assistance?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Ian
Sorry for the late reply but I start work at 5:30am and I just got home. I will call in an engineer and get them to have a look based on you observations as this F/F is not quite 8yrs old, and it was over £2,000 so I think it is worth spending the money do you agree?
John
Totally agree with you, I have one downstairs which is older than yours and I will keep repairing it until it drops to bits rather than replace it. Would you now kindly rate the information given to you by using the star rating at the top of the page, once done all further questions are free of charge. Thank you for using JA and have a good afternoon.