George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

I have a Neff upright freezer E NR: 195 307 236, FD 6901. Recently

I have a Neff upright freezer E NR: 195 307 236, FD 6901. Recently I unplugged it and allowed it to defrost. On door No 1, the two lower circular pegs, around which the door hinges, had broken away from the inside face of the cabinet walls. Over several days I attempted to superglue these pegs back to the walls to refit door No 1. the Superglue was not strong enough to withstand snapping the door onto the pegs and they broke away repeatedly. Rightly or wrongly I screwed two self tapping screws, about 6mm deep into each sidewall in place of the plastic pegs. Door No 1 snapped over these screws beautifully, job done. However, upon replugging and turning the power back on the freezer came back to life, initially it made a few noises, then settled down. I was then aware of a burning smell, there was a pop and the main circuit breaker for kitchen power (Fridge, Freezer, Central Heating) located in the garage tripped. I may have punctured/cut something buried in the sidewalls of the freezer by using the self tappers or something else may have blown. I changed the 13A fuse in the plug and tried again but again a pop/bang somewhere in the freezer and the main circuit breaker tripped again. I have disconnected the freezer and reset the main circuit breaker so the fridge and central heating are working normally. Has my repair caused this problem, or may this be an unrelated repairable problem, or does this mean I need a new freezer ?. Would appreciate your comments and advise in order to make plans. Phil Mason
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 year ago.
Hello Phil, my name is George..
It is possible that you have pierced something behind the wall cavity of the freezer (Thermostat wiring).. It is also possible that water from the defrost has spilt into the relay section for the compressor and shorted the electrics therein.
The appliance is a dated appliance of circa Jan 1989 and therefore some parts are no longer available.
If you have punctured a refrigerant line, the refrigerant is no longer available in its original form.
In short, the cost of repairing the system will likely be far in excess of the worth of the appliance or its replacement and therefore it is advisable to obtain a new appliance.
Kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.