Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

Our whirlpool dishwasher has started to leave a significant

Customer Question

Our whirlpool dishwasher has started to leave a significant limescale film on the dishes. Its only a couple of years old. We have checked the salt compartment is full, and cleaned the machine a number of times with a decalcifier. Why doesn't the salt stop this problem?
Our model has a button for using less salt when when employing all in one tabs and we have tried running cycles with this button on and off - to no avail.
Any ideas?
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.
Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries ~ firstly the salt in a dishwasher is used to clean out the water softener, it does not enter the wash cavity but is back flushed down the drain. Other than this action it has no effect on the softness of the water ie adding salt to wash water does not soften it. The reason you have a selector switch is that tablets as part of their makeup have a chemical water softener so you can end up with doubly soft water which causes foaming in the wash cavity and reduces the dishwashers ability to clean the pots. In the first instant I would be checking that the rinse aid if full and is actually being used.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response.I have checked rinse aid and it appears ok. The rinse aid warning light isn't showing. The rinse aid setting is on minimum otherwise I need to fill it every second wash. I use Finish rinse aid.
Thank you for the response, I am a little bit concerned by the amount of rinse aid that you are using, I fill my dishwasher up with rinse aid and it will last for at least a month. You may have a fault with you detergent dispenser which would also give you the indications you have.