Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

I am in a new build house (6weeks) my AEG hob burners are constantly

I am in a new build house (6weeks) my AEG hob burners are constantly clicking/sparking as if auto stuck. Is it safe to use. Can light manually but cannot now use my oven as have switched off electric to cooker. Basically I need to use over weekend but can constant sparking damage my hob.
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.
Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries - firstly you're in a new build so I am not going to ask you to strip the hob out. Two things to try, assuming since you havent given me the Model number that it has knobs rather than electronic controls
a. Remove all the knobs and then tell me if it is still sparking?
Power on obviously.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ian
Yes all burners still sparking.with knobs off...Model number is *****
OK let my try and explain how the system works, at the back is what is called a spark generator - when electricity is supplied to it it causes a spark to be generated at each burner. The on off switching is controlled by four switches behind the knows in what we call a daisy chain configuration, ie if you turn one burner knob all the burners spark. The normal problem with these is that one knob gets pushed in too far and jams the switches or water has somehow got into the switch assemblies. So the next stage is to get a hair dryer and fire hot air down the knob holes and onto the switch pack behind. Do that and come back to me once you have tried this and seen on power switch on if its still sparking.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Took all knobs off and fiddled with brown plastic things inside the one that started all this and hey ho it stopped. Thank you.
Obviously got stuck down and now I know will keep eye on it.
Have a good Christmas and thanks again.
OK good stuff, would you kindly rate the information given by selecting from the star rating system at the top of the page to allow me to shut the job down on the system. Once done all future questions are free of charge. Thank You for using JA and have a great weekend