George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

There, I have a hotpoint FZA84, the red temp light came

Hi there,
I have a hotpoint FZA84, the red temp light came on and would not go off, we put the dial up to max and there is no question the freezer is cooling because there is ice on the back panel.
I read one of your answers to someone else and you tell him to device the back panel and remove it so I am about to do that
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is George..
Can you have a look at the back panel again.. Tell me how much ice / frost is there and whether or not the fan is running.
Kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I turned the power off and there is ice on the back panel but I am not surprised because we turned the temp to max cold.
Before I turned it off the fan was on all the time and only went off when you opened the door.
Now defrosting the back panel and then I will remove it and take a look,
Can you tell me how far up the back panel the ice goes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello George,
I am de icing the back panel with a bowl of hot water but the ice deposit stops at the top of the third drawer,
The bulk of the ice deposit is where the third drawer would be, when the ice has all gone can I then remove the back panel.
I have taken all the screws out ready.
It sounds like you are short of refrigerant and therefore will need to re-gass the system.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, but should I proceed with removing the back panel to maybe clean it behind there, and will I be able to turn it back on and store some food before it is regassed and how long can I wait to regas it bearing in mind Christmas is nearly here.
Also who will regas it and how much do you think it will cost.
Ok.. That's a few to answer .. I'll do it in stages..
Yes, continue to remove the rear panel by defrosting first as this would need to be done in any event.. Be careful not to get any water in the electrics whilst doing so... A steamer is usually the best equipment to do this with, or a hairdryer from about 12" away.
If the fan was not working then that could be the cause... If the system has been unable to defrost then this also could be the cause... But by the sounds of your description, it sounds like the system is lacking the refrigerant it needs to keep fully cooled.
Once it is defrosted and you have turned it back on, how long it will take for the system to cool sufficiently to store frozen goods will depend on the level of refrigerant remaining. Listen to the sound the system makes once turned back on (hissing, trickling water, or no sound).. Let me know if you can.. Normally on a system like yours it should be but a few hours again providing there is atleast some refrigerant therein and it brings the interior temperature down to a negative temperature.
If it is a refrigerant issue, you should get it done at the earliest convenience.. Having said that, the most urgent case will be if you do not hear any refrigerant flowing through the system and this can be more highlighted by a HOT compressor.
Cost of replacement of the refrigerant will be dependent on who you get to do the job and where you live.
If you give me your postcode I can try assist you in finding an engineer to assist you with the repair.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello George,
The back panel is now off and there is quite a build up of ice around the copper tube that goes into the grid part.
Last night when I was taking a look at it the compressor was very hot to touch so you are probably right about the refrigerant.
I will continue to defrost it all and then put it all back together.I live in edgware, Middlesex HA8 8RR
If there is a large build-up of ice on the evaporator, then when you restart the appliance, listen for the sounds at the condenser grill on the back of the appliance..
If there is a gurgling water running sound then the problem is with the lack of refrigerant;
If the sound is one alike to hissing, then the problem may be with failure of the defrost heater...
Engineer needed in either event.
Any one of the following three companies can sort your problems and all cover your area:
Ken Bowman & Son
334 Ballards Lane
North Finchley
Phone:(###) ###-####3003
Email:***@******.***
Astrid Technologies LTD.
2 Ravensbourne Gardens
London
Phone:(###) ###-####8300
Email:***@******.***
Repair Aid Plus Ltd
3,*****
London
Phone: ***********
Email:***@******.***
regards
Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair