Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

Aquarius WDL 5490 - Safety lock has malfunctioned following

Customer Question

Aquarius WDL 5490 - Safety lock has malfunctioned following a wash and we cannot open the door.
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.
Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries - is the appliance still full of water?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No the cycle completed but the door will not open
OK have you a thin flat screwdriver to hand ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have again tried to release the door without success, I have got a flat screwdriver, I have tentatively tried to prise the door open, again without success, is it possible to give me some idea how much pressure I can apply without causing a lot damage.
I dont want you to try and open the door with the screwdriver I want you to take off the front kickstrip by prising it off at the top left about two inches in, the middle and the right side - screwdriver in and gently lift the driver and it should drop down.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have removed the front piece as requested, what next .
Below the door catch is a flat tab, pull that gently down and that should open the door for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I cannot see a flat tab only the 'access lid' and holes for the hooks on the panel.
Can you give my your email address and I will send you a diagram.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
E.Mail address ***@******.***
You have an email
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I sent my E. Mail address, I appeared to receive an E. Mail but it does not include the detail of the tab
Have you opened the attachment that supplies you with the manual for your model??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
I've checked I have the full manual clear as a bell - do you have acrobat reader on your computer??
Opening the porthole door manually
1. remove the plug from the electrical socket.
2. make sure the water level inside the machine is lower than
the door opening; if it is not, remove excess water using the
drain hose, collecting it in a bucket as indicated in the figure.
3. using a screwdriver, remove the cover panel on
the lower front part of the washing machine (see figure).
4. pull outwards using the tab as indicated in the figure,
until the plastic tie-rod is freed from its stop position;
pull downwards and open the door at the same time.
5. reposition the panel, making sure the hooks are securely
in place before you push it onto the appliance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry although I use a computer I am not fully Computer Literate so the answer has got to be no!
OK If I scan the directions together with pictorial diagrams are you able to open them up if I sent them to you ??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Having taken off the plate I have fully unscrewed the plug I has no attachment.
I believe I can open any information you send, I will get it done somehow.
OK give me about an hour, I have one more job to do and I will come back to you with the information you require.
You have another email with the attachment discussed.
Experience: I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have checked as you suggested and there is not a hanging piece in that location. There is a small hole in the bottom of the door about a quarter of an inch square. Do you know whether Hotpoint have any Engineers who they use in the Daventry Area.
Thank you for your help.
I doubt that you will get one before Christmas as they have got a massive product recall - if you give me your postcode I can recommend a couple of independent companies who may be able to help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
***@******.***Thanks Again
Postcode?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
*****NN11 4HL
Try John McKenzie on 01212 704731 he should be able to sort you out.
.