Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

Our zanussi/dryer machine keeps losing power. What could it

Customer Question

our zanussi/dryer machine keeps losing power. What could it be?
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Can you post the model number of the dryer please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just trying to find out (it's at my daughter's flat)
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
No worries, Its usually on a sticker on the inside of the door.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ZWT 71201 WA
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for that. So this is a washer dryer?
How long is it on for before it cuts out?
When it cuts out I take it all the lights go out.
And how long does it take before the lights come back on again?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's intermittent. All the lights go out as if there is no power at all. I'm not sure about how long it stays off - I'll need to speak to my daughter. Will call her now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Having called her, this time the machine has been off for 2 days!! So it seems it's no longer intermitent - it seems permanent!
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
No worries that's fine.
Basically for this fault theres 2 things that can cause this. Either the plug socket or the electronic control board.
The first thing to try if you can is plug the washer into another plug socket and run it and see if it stops cutting out. If it does then its the socket at fault rather then the washer.
But if its still cutting out then its more then likely the main control board itself itself at fault here. Ive replaced loads of them in the past for this kind of fault as they do fail often on these.
In this case if its the control board then it will need to be replaced to sort it sooner rather then later. As at you moment you say is intermittent but soon it will go off altogether and not come on as that happens on these.
So try a different plug socket first and if that's not the case then the main control board will be the issue here and will need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I replace the control board myself (I'm wondering if it's "plug and play" or more complex than that)?
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Yes it as you say plug and play.
The control board comes programmed up so its a case of removing the front control panel and swap the board over as the wiring is just push fit plugs so quite easy to replace on these.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's great. Thanks! I saw no obvious way of getting the front panel off - I assumed I'd have to pull out the unit (it's kind of built in) and take the top off. Are there publicly available drawings / youtube clips do you think that I could access to explain?
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Yes to get the control panel off you need to pull the washer out and remove the top cover which you will see.
Then pull the soap drawer and remove the screws you will see behind there.
Then you will see some screws on the top holding the frame on. Remove them and release it from the front using a flat screwdriver and push the plastic tabs down which you will see. Then you can remove the board from there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Excellent! I plan to order the part from e-spares unless you can suggest a better source
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Go direct to Zanussi as you will find it cheaper there. As when you buy it from e-spares they get it from Zanussi and add there bit onto it so going direct will save you a bit as well.
Copy and paste the link below for it.
http://shop.zanussi.co.uk/index.html
When ordering it make sure you enter the full product number and if theres 2 digits after it enter them as well. It tell you anyway when you try and find the part. Its just that theres 4 versions of that model so you need the full product code to get the correct part.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great. Thanks for that and I'll get on to it. Great service! I'll let you know how I get on. Signing off
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There seem to be options on electronic boards. Does this sound like the part I need? CONFIGURED ELECTRONIC,EWM2100 Part number: 973914606027006
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Can you post the full product number of the washer and I will double check the part number for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Product number:###-##-####00
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for that.
The part number you have found is the correct one so just order that and it should be fine from there.