Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

Daniel. Our Zanussi fridge stopped cooling yesterday, model number ZRB23200XA. T

Hello Daniel.
Our Zanussi fridge stopped cooling yesterday, model number ZRB23200XA. The freezer seems ok but the fridge is now nearly room temperature.
Is there anything you can suggest?
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.
Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries - first thing to do is save as much of the food as you can. Once this is done I will need you to carry out a few test for me. Let me know when you would like to proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Ian,Thank you for getting back to me. Please let me know the tests you would like me to carry out.Thanks,
Angela
Could you let me have the pnc or product code from the label inside.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the pic is###-##-####01
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
*pnc not "pic"
Yes it will be listed as pnc followed by numbers or product code followed by numbers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it's###-##-####01
OK before I go in to too much depth are you happy to start taking things to pieces to try and solve the problem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i don't really have much space in the kitchen to take the fridge apart.
You should be able to do most of what is needed from the front with the doors open.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, let me know what you need me to do
Copy and paste the following link in to your browser and then print out a copy so we are both singing off the same songsheet - when you have got that done come back to me.
http://shop.zanussi.co.uk/search?ssv=92599308300&prpp=150&customFields=edmx%3DA&customFields=eds%3DP09253055819&customFields=edProdDate%3D20130401&customFields=edProdNo%3D925993083&customFields=edelc%3D00&customFields=edDesc%3DElectrical%20equipment%20268
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is it correct that it's just a link to a diagram of the assembly/removal of the fridge door?
Go to the page electrical equipment second page.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i'm on that page
OK let me point out a few things you must consider befor you start here, the temperature inside the freezer is very cold which makes the plastic very brittle. If you pull things to roughly then the plastic will crack or break. The way the system works is that there is no cooling in the fridge it relies upon the freezer coldness being ducted from the freezer by the action of the freezer fan, first thing to do is remove item 51 once this is done, press on the fridge door switch item 4 and tell me if the freezer fan is running. Come back to me with you results. Bare with me as Im in the process of fixing a washing machine so will be popping back to check every few minutes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it's ok, i'm working from home today so that's why i'm taking a while to get back to you too. I would like to state that the fridge freezer hasn't made a noise since Christmas Eve. it normally makes a sound when you close the door and it's getting itself back to temperature, this could be because the freezer fan isn't working too
Usually what happens is that the fan freezes up and the result is that no cooling is ducted to the fridge but by conduction rather than convection the freezer maintains the frozen stuff at about -10 or -12C but not at the full -18/20C
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is there anyway to unfreeze the fan should that be the case?
The best way is to defrost the appliance manually by putting your food elsewhere an leaving the door open for a couple of days, the other way is to use a wallpaper stripper and steam the ice off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i see, the old fashioned way. I have removed the part, 51, and I can see the fan. when I press the fridge door switch, the fan spins once then stops
OK are you able to use a mains tester or multimeter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
unfortunately i don't own either of those
OK it will be difficult without them, what we need to check is if the fan is getting power to it - its a chicken and egg scenario, if the fans buggered then it will have power going to it all the time, if something else is faulty then you will only have erratic power.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this will be difficult. imay just have to wait for an engineer to come out to it. the fan, to my untrained eye, must have power to it as it rotates once once the fridge door is closed. i'm not able to do any complicated testing that you may need me to do :(
OK if you need and engineer in your area let me know and I will post a couple of companies for you to choose from - I just need your postcode.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you Ian. You have been most helpful and patient with me.My postcode is b68 8rz
Two companies that cover your area and should be able to sort out your problem --
APP Electrical Services 01400 282114 located in Grantham but cover B68 with one of their engineers
Regional Repair Centre 0121(###) ###-####a much larger company but located in Birmingham (likely to be more expensive)
I would phone them both up and select from the one you like the sound of and balance it with the cost.
Have to hand the model number, pnc and serial number and a full description of the fault.
Thank You for using JA, would you now kindly rate the information given by using the star rating system at the top of the page, once done you can come back to me at any time with further questions on a free of charge basis. Its been nice talking to you and have a great evening - Ian
Experience: I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.