Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

There, I have a fridge freezer zrb24100xa. A couple of days

Hi there, I have a fridge freezer zrb24100xa. A couple of days ago it started making a loud humming noise and I noticed the back wall of the fridge has ice on it. I was away for a few days though and ive come back and its all melted, it's no longer cold and all my food in freezer has nearly fully defrosted. There was a click sound coming from it every couple of minutes. It's still relatively new. What should I do? Thanks
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.
Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to your queries - it sounds like the refrigerator has lost most of its refrigerant and as a result the motor on the back has siezed. How old is it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About two years old
With one year warranty or did you take out a longer period?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't pay for anything extra so one year as far as I know
OK its a finite balance here, the original cost of the appliance was say £320 the cost of the repair (if it is what I think) is going to be in the region of £200, but there is the likely hood that the leak will not be found and you may have the same problem some months down the track. If it were me I would try and see if Zanussi will do you a repair as a good will gesture (you might get lucky) if not cut your losses and buy another fridge. There is no quick fix I'm afraid as a refrigeration engineer myself if you decide to get someone in you need a qualified domestic appliance engineer that does system work on refrigerators. Its not a diy project sadly.