Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

I have an intergrated SGV46M43Gb. The tap light is on and the machine seems only to

Customer Question

Hi, I have an intergrated SGV46M43Gb.
The tap light is on and the machine seems only to be able to fill up. After approx ten mins if I open the door the unit is full of water.
Any ideas, please?
Nigel
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.
Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries - can you hear a humming at this point?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ian,
Thanks for the reply. After this happened the first time I emptied the unit and reset it.
Then it ran for ten minutes and stopped. I listened to the machine for a while and it seemed to be attempting to run through the cycle but no joy.
OK can you hear a dull hum as at this time of the program the circulating pump should be running?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I believe i can
OK it sounds like the circulating pump has seized or alternatively got something like a cocktail stick or turkey bone stuck in the impeller. You will need to pull it out of its cavity and see if you can find which it is. Pain of a job.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where do I locate this please
The circulating pump is located in the base of the appliance, depending upon if it has a wrap around base or removable base you can get to it by removing the base or via the right hand side panel (viewed from the front)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, I have removed the side panel and I do not know which is the circulation pump. Could you help please?
Give me a few minutes and I'll see if I can find a picture for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have located the pump, is there a way to test it first to see if it is actually faulty? Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Once I located the pump and run the machine. The pump impeller is turning fine?
Is there anything else it could be?
Thanks again,
Nigel.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Have you got the circulating pump or the drain pump?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Circulation pump
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have removed both sides and the lower metal casing.
The circulation pump is definitely moving. On the left hand side I have noticed what looks to be a blockage at the top of a long chamber of clear pipe work. Is this just a separate breather?
No its just the water distribution unit - it often gets a black mess in it. But if your appliance is still filling with water then this is not your problem but whilst you are looking at it there is a little turbine assembly with a micro switch sometimes the microswitch fails or the cable loses connectivity. If you unplug and replug it sometimes it clears the fault. My concern here is that you have water going in to the appliance but no motor action.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** *****
The micro switch does seem to be working.
When the machine first starts its cycle, does it drain first of all or does it fill first then run and drain?
I am just running it on a 45degree cycle just to inspect it whilst running. I will get back to you ­čĹŹ­čĆ╗
It drains first and then fills and cycles. I would try it on a prewash and see what it does - so pump out, fill and then circulate.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
I have run the machine a couple of times. Everything seems to be ok but I have water in the bottom of the machine after it beeps to signal finishing!
OK there is a float in the base that shuts off the appliance before water can get in the motor. When you say water in the base do you mean water in the wash cavity or actually in the base of the appliance?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I mean within the machine not the outer case.
I have just sucked out all the water via the outlet pipe using a wet&dry.
I then noticed that the small impeller was not moving. I checked some more and found a tiny piece of plastic lodged in it. I have now removed it and I am just giving it a pre wash. Fingers crossed.
I will update you.
yes that will be the problem, Doesnt take much for one of these to default out and refuse to work.
Experience: I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks very much for all your help, much appreciated.
Happy New Year!!
Excellent news, you wont have to do the pots on New Years Day. Take care and have a brilliant New Year