Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

Bosch s9j1bMotor runs even when door is open but water will

Customer Question

Bosch s9j1b
Motor runs even when door is open but water will not fill
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 11 months ago.
When you say the motor is running when the door is open is it the drain pump that's running?
If so then when you tipped it backwards did any water come out at all?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yes the drain pump
No water came out at all
Ok the pump running all the time is usually down to water leak in the base that's activated the flood switch.
What you need to do as you have the dishwasher out remove the left hand side panel.
From there you will see a red plastic rod at the bottom going down into the base unit.
Lift this up and down a few times as sometimes this can stick and it keeps the flood switch activated and the pump running all the time.
Free it off and then retry it and see how it goes from there.
Try that first and let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We had the machine out ten minutes ago and then put it back in and got on-line for help; whilst waiting for your reply I asked my wife to press start as I thought you may ask me a question in a minute about what happens in the cycle.I just got your reply so we opened the door and low and behold there is water flowing.I think at this stage we will try and let it run it's cycle to see if the problem has been resolved? Maybe the general movement of tipping and taking it in and out has done this thing you mentioned about the flood switch??Thanks for now,Dom
Ok as its filling now then the flood switch as reset itself.
So the tipping off it will have freed the flood switch. Fingers crossed its a one off that caused this so see how it goes from there.
But if it happens again then try the flood switch as I said above and see what you find.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi DanThe machine did fill with water but then got stuck in cycle and just kept running.I have now taken the side panel off and fiddled with that red stick but it has gone through an hour and a half and is still running.Is there a next step please?Thanks Dan,Dom
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
DanDid you get my message at 9.55 today?CheersDom
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. First day back in work again after xmas so a bit slow today.
Anyway as to the fault if you lie the dishwasher on its back does any water come out from there?
If so then something is leaking under there. Clear the base and you need to run the dishwasher with both side panels removed and watch it as it fills and washes and see if you can see any water leaking from some were under there.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No worries and thank for the latest advice.Tipped it on its back and very very small amount of water came out.Put it through two cycles successfully with heat all working and water draining well etc.But the third time it did the same as before.It seems to get stuck and just keeps going, we open the door and the pump is still going, although it sounds like it's straining.
Ok you have a water leak under there that's causing this fault.
Im afraid you need run the dishwasher with the sides off. Check the right hand side as that's were the wash motor is and to be honest for most leaks its usually the motor that causes this.
So check the motor and see what you find. But you have a water leak there as that's whats causing the trouble here.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
DanIs it normal that I cannot see the leak?The machine has been running on and off for 2 days with the side off and each time it gets stuck in cycle.There is no sign of a leak? Is that correct?ThanksDom
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Dan I've just been looking again and there is absolutely no water, it is bone dry everywhere; I just cannot see how this is leaking but there is no sign of water?Can you help me understand?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
So I've run another cycle and the dishes seemed to wash and dry but still the machine did not stop running, if that helps?
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you as I was offline yesterday. If its not stopping and the pump is running all the time and its not leaking then it will be the main control board on this im afraid. As when you get this kind of fault its usually water in the base but if theres no water then it can only be the control board im afraid. In this case the board will need to be replaced and that should cure it from there