Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

I have a Hoover vh w654 d. The machine tripped our electrics

Customer Question

Hi. I have a Hoover vh w654 d. The machine tripped our electrics out. Now every light on the display illuminates when it is turned on but nothing happens. I have tried switching off then on to reboot but doesn't help. Also checked the outlet not blocked but that's all clear. Is it likely the circuit board is blown?
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.
Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries - yes but more likely that something connected to it caused this to happen. This could be the dryer heater, wash heater or the motor. You will need to take out the two pcbs, (the facia board and the power board) and see if you can see any blown tracks or burnt sections. Once/if you have located something come back to me. The issue is that each board costs between £75-80 so its a big expense if you get it wrong. If you can see no burn marks we can look for other components which may be causing problems.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. So have taken the lid off but can't see anything burnt out. Where should I be looking?
The second image shows the back of the facia pcb which is likely to be OK as all it does is control the power board. You will need to take the back off and the board should be down in the base area. Unclip it and check this board it has all the power switching on it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Is this the board? If so there is a blackened area in the middle as shown
Yes thats the one, if you can leave it with me until tomorrow I have a company in Nottingham that repairs these boards and I will check if they do this type? And come back to you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Didn't hear back from you about your company in Nottingham so I sourced a new board from Hoover. Just fitted it but machine not working. A bit of illumination appears even when the machine is off and the dispense keeps filling. What's next thing to look At?
First did the new board come configured for your appliance? Many manufacturers supply boards that have not been programmed ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I bought it from Hoowver and they said it would take 5-7 days to arrive as would need programming. It's taken that time to arrive but is there any way I could tell? Have attached what the display shows now.
Not very impressive at all - leave this with me and I'll come back to you. As a quick comment, I would say it has not been programmed for your appliance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Will you come back to me by tomorrow? Been without machine sometime now :(
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. New board came thru this week. Washing worked fine on machine. Used tumble dryer for first time today and it tripped out my home electrics. The display now has nothing at all and when there is power to the machine you can hear and feel the heater going. Checked the board that was replaced and one of the terminals has blackened. What do you think the problem is?
OK I would suggest you have a problem with your heater or fan assembly on the dryer section. This likely is what caused the first one to go.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When the first one went it was during a wash cycle. When the dryer tripped this eve there was a large amount of water in the drum. If the waste pipe had been kinked and the machine hadn't emptied properly when going from wash cycle to dry cycle, could this have caused the problem?
Yes as the condenser dryer uses cold water to condense the moisture out which is duly pumped out and down the drain.