Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

I have a belling chim101ss cooker hood with 2 downlights. After

Customer Question

I have a belling chim101ss cooker hood with 2 downlights. After a couple of minutes they start to flicker, fade then go out. It would appear that the transformer is sold with the motor, and would cost more than a new hood. I am guessing it is the transformer, but could it be anything else more simple, before I am forced down either major replacement parts, or outright replacement route. Many thanks for considering.
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.
Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries - can you give me the product code which will be on the rating label in the hood area. I can then look and see the parts and what is available.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ian, Chim101ss, product code###-##-####- the old model. I spoke to Belling, thinking it must be the transformer, although that is my uneducated guessed they didn't comment - it says TRA 110 -01 on the transformer. It's only when they quoted me £235 for the transformer + motor, (have to be bought together) or £191 for a complete new hood that I thought I should check with Justanswers whether my diagnosis was correct, as that is a lot of money if that is an incorrect diagnosis. Thanks John
OK do you have a multimeter or are you happy to buy one, should only cost you about 15 quid from maplins, only needs to be a basic thing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have one, I guess I could go to screwfix and get a basic one....is that is what is required to test what is wrong?
I was just thinking that if you had one I could take you through finding out what is wrong, ie is it the transformer or not. Once you have that information perhaps we could come up with a remedy that didn't need a mortgage !!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok trip to Screwfix this PM....I'll get back to you later, thanks.
OK I've just asked my boss at belling to send a wiring diagram as its not listed on the engineer website. I'll see if we can't come up with just a transformer too.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi - I now have a multimeter (iNLEC DT 830B Digital Multimeter) - £5.90 at toolstation - pleased with that! - so what do we need to check?
Firstly what voltage were the bulbs listed as?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can't say they are the originals - the ones in there are 12v
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
12v is the correct voltage according to actual fitting on cooker having just checked
OK have you got the battery/batteries in the multimeter?
as you look at it with display at the top, plug black test lead into bottom socket and red on into middle socket. If you switch it on do you have a display?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sure all done - even looked at a couple of internet tutorials to hopefully get a head start
OK can you get one bulb out of its holder and tell me if the probes will go in the bulb holes? Lamps switched off and remove the lamps with a cloth if they are halogen.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, that test is not possible. Pin holes are too thin for probes to enter. I have tried. Bulb case housing is all plastic and sealed, so I can't get in round the back to test it at wire connection point. I'm convinced it must be transformer fault as lights both come on, but once they warm up, they fade and cut out, after a minute or two. That must mean once it all warms up, something is cutting out. I could remove the transformer easy, and if I could find a compatible one, could replace. I have a photo of it and could email it to you if you have any ideas on compatibility??? I just don't want to have to do both transformer and motor, as motor works, and looks like a bigger job.
OK can you get to the wires that connect to the bulb holders? OK let me have the picture too and I will see what I can find for you. I may have one in our workshop will have a look tomorrow. My issue her is that transformers are very very reliable it is more likely to be something else. But my thought was that perhaps we could make something else up to give you lighting.
Can you give me a photo of the front of the hood. I have had a response back from them at Belling. They have no record of that model so can you perhaps check that the 05 number you gave me earlier is correct too.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
See attached.Now have a look at this link.http://www.luxairhoods.com/cooker-hood-spare-parts-spares/cooker-hood-transformers/cooker-hood-transformer-1This should do the trick should it not, at a fraction of Belling's transformer + motor price, or do you think it is something else?
Yes it should do the job its slightly smaller from a current carrying point of view but it is fuse protected which gives you added security. I think at that price I would take a chance. The issue for sure is likely that Belling bought in these hoods (perhaps even from Luxair) but they are now obsolete so they are ramping up the price hoping you will buy a new hood, or making it worth their while having to buy in a transformer.
As I mentioned earlier, my concern is that transformers are reliable but if we find later it wasnt the transformer we can rig up a light switch to allow you to use the lights without it going through the switch assembly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks - looking at the switch assembly, that is all part of a plastic unit, with fan speed switches also, which looks a bit more complicated to replace - but I might have a go if necessary! The photos are attached. Do you think I should be fo using on that rather than transformer. Time to call it a night today, I need to cook some dinner for the kids. Have a good evening...keep in touch.
I wouldn't bother with the switch assembly its just a pcb with switches soldered on to it, its as flimsy as paper. Try the transformer and see if that works if so great, if not come back to me and I'll wire you something up that will work. Would you when you get a minute rate the help I have given you by selecting from the star rating system at the top of the page. Once done you can come back to me at any time for further help. (it just lets me shut your question down on the system) If you need to contact me my number is ***** 928831 or log back in and ping me on here. Enjoy your meal - Ian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ian - just to let you know. New transformer arrived - I have fitted it, and the problem is now resolved. I was convinced it was this rather than the switch as the light flickering followed by failure was consistently an issue after a couple of minutes when the bulbs warmed up. Great result in terms of a compatible non- manufacturer component at sensible money compared to where the manufacturer was on this. Thanks for your help. As a non-electrician, doing these types of task often requires a good sounding board, and you fulfilled that role well. Best regards John
I'm pleased that it worked out well and that I could assist in some small way also thank you for the link to the transformer I have had another question with the same problem, different manufacturer, and was able to help. Much appreciated. Have a great NY and keep in touch ~ Ian