Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

I have a whirlpool American style fridge freezer - the fridge

I have a whirlpool American style fridge freezer - the fridge part has stooped cooling but the freezer part is working fine. The other thing I notice is that the fridge (motor) runs continuously ...
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.
Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries - would you kindly let me have the full model number together with the product code a long number on the rating plate.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Model No 858615815010
Product code ?? 110436026923
No the 85 number is ***** - give me a moment and I'll look up the specs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still awaiting answer
OK when you say 'the fridge motor' are we referring to the fan motor in the fridge?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
OK on your model the cold air is fed through ducts at top and bottom from the freezer compartment and circulated by the fan in the fridge. If either of the two ducts is closed off You have a diffuser at the bottom and a power driven flap at the top likely behind the top lamp cover area. I cant be sure because I cant get the service manual until tomorrow when we are back to work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have you any update for me
I've just sent my college a nudge for the Manual.
OK I have received the information needed to help you with your problem and as expected it is the motorized flap. It is fitted at the back top left hand side of the fridge compartment behind a cover. Its abit difficult to remove but initially if you take the cover off you should see that the flap is closed. The part number for the item which is called an 'air diffuser' is 481236138103 and if you copy and paste the following link you will see what it looks like --
http://www.4whirlpool.co.uk/search.pl?t=811.74627589391&query=481236138103
Do you require further assistance??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the reply - I had this problem a few years back & the service guy fitted a diffuser - when the same thing happened before xmas a service guy called & he said the compressor was going & not fixable/replacable & that I need a new fridge ( they don't refill them with gas) . As it was Xmas week I didn't do anything but since then I thinking he called it wrong . If the compressor was goning I would have though that both the fridge & the freezer would have stopped working together - but my freezer is still fine . Plus I notice since the fridge stopped working that the fridge/freezer fan operates correctly (as in ti hums occasionally & is silent at times also ) ....
OK I would do this to confirm your diagnosis - as mentioned earler, remove the diffuser completely from the cabinet and see if the temperature in the fridge goes down. Note it may go down below freezing, if it does then there is nothing wrong with the compressor.
On a second point, as a refrigeration engineer I recharge refrigerators all the time, it may just be that the company that came out doesnt !! You may be short of refrigerant but try the first option and come back to me. Did the engineer put any pressure gauges on whilst he was there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He didnt put any pressure guages on - he just felt the compressor at the back of he fridge which he said was very hot ! Will remove the difuser & revert .
OK the issue here for me is that as you will be aware this f/freezer has a number of sensors in both the fridge the freezer and actually in the cabinet skin to monitor things. So if one of the sensors is saying that it is too hot in the refrigerator then the microprocessor will continue to make the motor run. There is no facility for the microprocessor to know if it is short of gas or not working it just supplies the power to the compressor and monitors the temperature switching on when warm and off when down to temperature. The compressor has its own built in safety cut outs totally independent of the microprocessor system control module.
So as we discussed earlier, remove the motorised diffuser but leave it hanging on its cables and then see if the refrigerator temperature goes down.