Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

There - we have a Bosch oven and have just discovered that

Hi there - we have a Bosch oven and have just discovered that the lamp cover was installed not just cracked as initially thought, but completely broken - it is only a year old !!
When I tried to wipe the cover the top part of the glass came off in my hand, and now we are stuck with just the thread part in the oven.
How can we remove this without tearing our hands to pieces on the broken edges ?
I have read some forums that suggest WD40 and a few taps with wooden lever and a hammer, but not sure this will work given that most of the cover is missing.
Any suggestions would be really appreciated.
Cheers
Martin
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Can you post the model number please of the oven.
Just so I know what kind of lamp unit this has.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HBA43B251B/05FD9409
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for that.
I see this light is in the roof of the oven on this.
If the top of the glass has come off and its just the threaded part left in there then what you need to do is turn the power off to the oven.
Then you need to use a pair of long noise pilers and insert them into the holder were the glass is and open them up and then turn the pilers and that should unscrew whats left of it from there.
If you have a pair of gloves then wear them in case it slips. That way with the pilers it should come out from there.
If that wont work at all then im afraid the oven will need to be removed and the top panel taken off and the lamp holder removed from there and then you can get better access to it from there.
But as the oven is just over a year old then im not sure if you know this but these come with a 2 year warrenty. So if you cannot remove the glass cover then give Bosch a bell as they will call out and replace it free of charge anyway as the cover is covered by the warrant. Bulbs are not covered but the lamp holder and glass cover is so they will call out and replace the lot for you for free.
But try the long noise pilers first as to be honest that will do the trick and remove it from there. As when the glass breaks you wont do this by hand only the pilers will work.
Let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do we need a specific size of long nose pliers ?
The ones we have are small and don't seem to fit the way you describe.
I was going to check the warranty if we couldn't get this done ourselves, so thanks for the advice about the 2 years still being in place.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
A normal size pilers usually does the trick. If you only have a small set then you will probberly need a bigger pair so its able to grip it.
But check the warrenty but all Bosch appliances come as a 2 warrenty as standered so you don't need to register for it as long as you have a receipt for it they should still fix it for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well we have managed to break it out from the inside with an adjustable plumbers wrench which is bigger than our long nose pliers so at least the area is now free of the broken remains of the lap cover.
However, there doesn't seem to be a thread to screw the new lamp cover into - just a metal casing with a few small clips.
Is that correct - is that the normal casing supplied with the oven for the lamp cover ?
If not, then perhaps that is why it was badly fitting in the first place ??
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Just had a look at the fitting of the lamp holder and that's actually correct. Its showing it as clips which the cover pushes on to.
I have seen the odd one of these but I though they reverted back to the screwed type cover but it looks like on this model the cover just pushes into the cover and that locks it in.
If you need the part number for the cover anyway its 00647309
But if its a bad fitting then it may be a faulty lamp holder which in this case it will need to be replaced on there.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK - we have replaced the lamp cover - tested taking off and on a few times to ensure all is working - all seems fine now.
Thanks for your help.