Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

Siemens dishwasher doesn't lock when I close the door

Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.
Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries - can you give me the full ENr which is located on the the top of the inner door and lazer etched into the stainless steel.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Siemens SE64630GB/29
The door latch is in a closed position.
When I try to close it, the latch hits the strike plate and wont's go any further.
OK are you OK working with hand tools and are you happy to give it a go? You will need a Torx 20 and perhaps a 15 screwdriver. Its a fiddly job but not too technical.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I've got those tools
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've got to the latch
Have you taken the outer door off?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I've git the control pane open and I've removed the latch. I wish I hadn't because I can't get it in the right position.
It takes some strength, if you look at it you will see a U shaped plastic thing looking like the gap between forefinger and thumb. You have to force this from where it is over the top to a position at the other side where the bottom of the U is facing the gap in the door. You are fighting against quite a strong spring. I tend to use a towel to hold it as you force it over.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've done that.
The two metal plates at the front are narrower than the latch. And I can't get back in to the original place
I've added a picture
Well you will have to fiddle with it, it came off it will go back on, it can only go two ways to connect to the fixing screws.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your right there. But I don't want to bust it. Is the dummy catch essential?
Explain 'dummy catch'
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think it's a fake handle which would be used if it wasn't integrated
Aah yes not very durable and weak I agree
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's it
OK I'm assuming you got it back in place - now before you put the outer door back on check that all is working. Usually with this scenario someone slams the door the the 'pecker' pings over the top. Other wise the loop protruding out of the cabinet needs adjusting abit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi it fits okay now doing a rinse.
As an aside what causes it to happen?
Nothing - either a lose loop or someone with attitude. The door switch very rarely breaks and when it does its always because someone has slammed the door or the screws that hold it have become lose and the loop has hit it sideways on. Anyway Im glad we got it sorted. Would you now kindly rate the information/help given by selecting from the star rating system at the top of the page. Once done all further questions are free of charge all you have to do is log on and the call will come to me. Thanks for using JA and enjoy the lack of hand washing to do. Take care - Ian
Experience: I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Ian. Top rate. Saved me from buying new switches