Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

Dishwasher model F65040, PNC###-##-#### ***** code 20 (not

Dishwasher model F65040, PNC###-##-#### ***** code 20 (not draining). Filters clean. What is the likely problem and solution please? Neil.
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.
Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries - either a jammed pump (very common at this time of the year, small piece of glass, turkey bone or coctail stick)
Its a case of taking the bottom (if it will come off) and the right hand side off and following the grey corrigated drain pipe to it. When you get that far come back to me. Power off first please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ian. This is a built in semi-integrated unit. It will take a little while to remove it from its plinth. Are your instructions still valid in this scenario? Neil
Yes we need to get at the pump assembly, it may be that you can get at it through the front but you can check that when you get the kickstrip off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Kick strip is off (4 self tap screws). Fairly restricted access though!
Yes as I thought, you will have to draw it out to get at the pump I'm afraid. - take your time Im heading off for lunch will catch up with you on my return. When you get it out you need to empty the drain hose into a bucket or wash bowl then follow it forward to where it connects to the pump. Once there you need to unscrew the pump from it chamber and check for debris. I will be back in a while to check how you are doing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unit out and on its side. Pump removed and everything very clean. However, there is a translucent box at bottom (left hand side when unit vertical) which is full of water and the circular part of it seems full of grunge. I guess this might be the problem but can't see any way of removing it to clean. It is connected to the bottom of the dishwasher inside and has a large white screw cap which I never use but is the salt container. I use multi tabs and our water supply is extremely soft.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Further thoughts. I think I had this problem with an earlier dishwasher and from memory I think this filter unit is sealed and would have to be replaced. Is this your diagnosis?
By the way I have a dinner engagement and have to leave home shortly after 3pm.
No - I think I have missed you so come back to me when you are free - Ian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am back on line again. I was out for dinner last night.
OK where are you at the moment, do you have the appliance out of it cabinet yet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. I have checked the pump as suggested and it is very clean. I think problem might be the translucent sealed container attached to the salt dispenser. There is a circular filter in it which is full of a honey coloured material and the container is full of water.
That is quite normal that is the water softener assembly and is filled with ceramic beads. I now need you to (assuming that the pump is off the pump casing but hanging on its wires) and with the appliance tilted at 45 degrees backwards put the appliance on a prewash. What should happen is that for the first few seconds after start up the pump should work - make sure the cables are not touching the case. Once you have confirmed the pum is running switch the appliance off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pump is back on machine and machine is temporarily back under the worktop so as to give room in the kitchen. I will remove it again, however there is no pre wash cycle on this dishwasher. I will start machine and follow your procedure.
OK any wash cycle will do just quickly check before it starts to fill up with water !!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pump is working. By the way it is not held on with screws, just the in and out pipes.
OK I need you to take the smaller of the two pipes off and check that the drain side is clear up to and down the drain and at the same time check that the flap valve is not jammed shut. You will need a wash bowl to catch the water in the grey pipe to the drain tube/spigot.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Flap valve ok, opens towards pipe. Due to route of grey outlet pipe under other built in units it is difficult to check for blockage so I blew down the hose from the pump end! Initial resistance encountered and then became clear and I could hear bubbling sound from u bend under the sink. Maybe this was the problem?
Perhaps - but it would need to be quite a blockage - put the pump back on, then boil a kettle of hot water, pour it into the sump with the filters off (inside the machine and leave it for about 5 mins. Then see if it will now pump the water - come back to me with your results.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hot water pumped out. Pump operated for about 1 minute, stopped briefly, ran for another minute and stopped again briefly, ran again for nearly 1 minute and stopped with error code 20 flashing. Same error code as originally. Will now remove grey drain pipe at sink end and see if water comes out. I think there was insufficient hot water pumped out to reach the under sink u bend connection but the filter sump on the dishwasher is now empty.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Further info. Took outlet pipe off pump and with u bend end in a basin on the floor water came out but only when I blew down from the pump end. Poured 1.5 litres cold water into pump end of pipe and clean water came out at u bend end. Blew through pipe and all water came out - some resistance when blowing but clearly no blockage in pipe. Grey waste pipe is about 2 metres long.
OK, 2m is quite a long run for a dishwasher, I would be taking the pipes off and pushing a garden can or similar down them, if they are partially blocked with debris it will put the drain out time over that allowed and it will default to E20. Once you get it working you need to get a dishwasher cleaner through it to clear out any remnants.
Experience: I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. From what you say the drain pipe is the likely problem. It came with the machine as standard but of course the entry point to the u bend under the sink is about 0.5m above the floor which is already a head of water the pump has to push against. I will have to go out and buy a flexible drain cleaning wire which won't be today. I regularly use a cleaner cycle but need to buy some more bottles later today. I have just measured this pipe, it is actually 3m long!! But this is what the machine was fitted with and could not really be shorter without a bit of a rebuilt of the sink drainage system in a very confined space. Previous AEG dishwasher lasted 20 years before dying without a problem with pump out.
I guess this is it. Many thanks for your assistance over a holiday weekend, I an very impressed with the service you provided.
No worries and if you need further help do come back to me. Thanks for the rating and have a great New Year.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ian. Just for information the fault turned out to be a failed electronic control board, new one ordered from AEG. Thanks.
Thanks for the heads up - I guess over a period of time overloading the pump ie drawing extra current to force the water down a longer pipe could have caused this failure. Glad you got it sorted.