Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

AEG Lavamat Turbo Electronic 16800 washing machine. I loaded

Customer Question

AEG Lavamat Turbo Electronic 16800 washing machine.
I loaded and started machine as normal using prewash and normal 60-degree wash, time about 3 hours.
When I returned the timer had finished, but no frontpanel lights on. Door would not open.
No water visible in the tub or on the floor, so switched off at mains, which allowed opening of the door.
I emptied the tub of washing.
Allowed to stand for a couple of hours, hoping for automatic reset.
Switched on at mains, no frontpanel lights.
Drain machine manually. Removed filter,- Fluffed up, but when put under tap water flowed through it without problem.
Remove top. There is power to & from the switch. Cannot see a fuse or reset button, (*****).
Thought I would take the easy route and ask before carrying on.
Regards,
Steve.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
If you have power to the washer but nothing is lighting up then its more then likely the main control board.
Theres no fuse or reset button in there im afraid so you wont find that.
What you need to do is remove the top of the washer and there you will see the control board behind the front panel on the left hand side.
Release this from the side and then you need to remove the plastic cover from the back of it. There you will be able to see the control board. Check that and see if theres any signs of burning on there. As if there is you will see it.
If there is then the control board will need to be replaced. But most of the time for this theres a reason it blows and which is nearly always down to the door lock. As the door lock blows and this takes the control board out so when this happens you need to replace both the door lock and the control board.
But sometimes it can also take the front display board out and the electronic pressure sensor as ive seen this quite a few times.
Now pricewise if this is the case then the control board itself is about £150 and the door lock about £40 so give this is a 2000 model its not worth it but that's up to yourself.
So check the control board and see what you find as if this is the case you will see the burn marks on there.
If you need anymore info just get back to me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Daniel T,
I thought that the pcb being down might be the problem. Not sure why you say about the door lock as the machine was still full of rinsing water, so the lock's power situation should not have changed.
I'll pull the board in the morning.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Morning Daniel,
I’ve removed the board and given it a good look over. Apart from the marks left from the connector blocks, it looks like it has just come from the factory.
I realise that this is electronic kit, but it having gone that quickly I would expect to see something, somewhere.
Is there a way of checking this out?As I cannot fault this board, and before I rush off to purchase another machine, I would appreciate a few more likely culprits. As there was water in the machine when it stopped, could it be a pump fault?How do I check out the door lock without connecting the PCB?Cheers,
Steve.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Ok if the board looks ok with not signs of burning then the door lock wont have shorted out and blown it.As to the door lock when it blows it can go anytime so it can lock and be half way through a wash and then fail. Theres no certain time it fails. So as theres still nothing coming on the display and the power is fine then it will still be the control board as the power goes from the mains filter were the power cable goes to and then straight to the board. As its dead then its going to be the board at fault. This is something we replace a lot for the same fault so its not uncommon for them to fail like this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I’m not sure about your solution yet.
I can get a new board for 130 quid, but if I fit it, will it blow again, as the actual fault is still present.
I’m not saying your solution is wrong, but I can wait a while and look for alternatives.
This is a very lightly used machine. The dryer has never been used.
I have written to the manufacturers asking about a circuit diagram, and an eBay guy who may be able to repair the board. If he can find a fault on it, he should be able to tell me which circuit. Unfortunately, this has happened at a bad time of year. No one at work to answer the mails.
Ao.com is selling my model machine for £650. It will cost at least £350 to replace it with a reasonable, lower cost unit.
This deserves a bit more looking at before I decide what is the best solution for my circumstances.
Sorry Daniel, can’t rate you yet as I haven’t a solution yet.
I will be in touch, and rate your service as soon as I know which way I am going, repair or replace.Regards,
Steve.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Hi The manufacturers wont send out any circuit diagrams im afraid unless you are one of there agents. But I do have them if you want them.Theres 2 diagrams so ive uploaded both for you so click the links below for them. As for a repair company you can try these ive heard they are quite good click here I also have the service manual if you need it.If you do let me know and I can upload it for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Morning Daniel,
I never say no to assistance, especially when the assistant knows more that I. So, yes please to the service manual.
In my yoof, I used to be a Motor Technician, and one of my specialities was Engine Management Systems, and Electronically Controlled Auto Transmissions, which I don’t find to difficult. I know how they work. It may seem silly, but I don’t know how a washing machine works.
I went to Currys the other day, saw a Beko WM74145W at a good price in the sale, are they any good do you know? But would still like to know why this one stopped.
If I rate you, do I lose your assistance?
Steve.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
No worries I will upload the service manual for you know so again just click the link below for it. As to the Beko you have seen. They are basically what we call a throw away washer. If you get a few years out of it and it breaks then most people just replace them as spares can be more then the washer is worth. For a decent mid range washer you can try the Hotpoint or Indesit washers as you wont have trouble getting parts for them and they can be quite cheap as well. As to rating yes you can still get back to me on this after rating as that isn't a problem.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, you come over as a nice helpful chap and you have just been rated.
Thanks for advice on the Beko, but this is about what you are sayng about my AEG, which appears to be an Electolux, with Zanuzi parts. Dah.Regards,
Steve.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
That's correct what I say about the AEG but this is actually around 15 years old were as the Beko you will be lucky to get 5 years out of it.