Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

Good Morning, I have a 2yr old Waeco CR 110 fridge which

Good Morning,
I have a 2yr old Waeco CR 110 fridge which stopped working on return trip from Caribean.
It switches on ok and sounds like it is working but does not get cold and I can hear liquid sloshing around. Could this be the compressor and if so is it possible to get the unit repaired?
Steve
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.
Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to your queries - give me a couple of minutes and I will have a look for you. If you can hear some gurgling that is indicative of the unit being short of refrigerant, before I can take you further I would need to know which refrigerant it used. This will be on a sticker on the compressor and start with a R
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay,I had to remove fridge from mounting. The refrigerant is R134a. The operating noise I can hear is the fan.
OK I need you to confirm that the compressor is actually running or is it just hot. Keep your ear open for a clicking sound every so often from the compressor area, or a dull hum followed by silence and then some minutes later another dull hum.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The compressor is running but is only luke warm, not hot. There is no clicking sound and the compressor runs constantly. No silent periods.
OK if you put you hand on the small pipe coming out of the compressor not the one that is capped but the one that goes to the black heat exchanger on the back (called a condenser) can you feel heat as it travels up to the condenser or just within a few inches of the compressor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The pipes going into the compressor are cold. The compressor is getting warmer.
No I need you to put you hand out the small pipe coming out of the compressor. the larger one should be cold whilst the small one should be hot - could you check please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Small pipe is also cold. Not sure if its relevant but the fan is on all the time.
OK if the small pipe is cold then either the appliance has lost all its refrigerant or the valve plate on the compressor has failed. Time for you to call out a refrigeration engineer I'm afraid this is not a diy job it entails cutting into the refrigeration pipework, checking the gas pressures and dependent upon these either refilling or scrapping the appliance.
Experience: I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks for your help.