Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

This question is about my Tumble Dryer, and if I have

Customer Question

This question is about my Tumble Dryer, and if I have addressed to the incorrect expert could you please re-direct it to the correct area. Thank you. (This is the 4th time of asking and I have yet to get a reply).
It is a Zanussi, 7kg sensor dryer.Mod ZDE47100W, Type P541553, Prod no. *********** Ser no. 94507458.
The machine only works correctly intermittenly. It usually goes through the programme and ends up with the Red light flashing. I go back and try it again and usually the same thing happens (it goes through the programme but with no heat). I try again and before starting up again I sometimes take an item or 2 ou and often it will have operated correctly.Any suggestions as to what it could be, and possible fix?
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.
It would appear that you have a problem with the heater of your machine, are you able to use handtools and have you anyway of testing that you have power at the heater??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am able to use hand tools but no way of testing that I have power.
OK to be quite honest with you, if you go out and buy a cheap multimeter for about £5 it will be much easier for me to take you through testing. At the moment all we are doing is guessing without actually being able to confirm things. If you just start to change components you will end up paying much more than the cost of the meter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok will try and get a meter tomorrow and then get back to you. Thanks meantime.
OK you don't need anything expensive, just something that can read an AC voltage and that has a continuity beeper.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
See my response which I sent a few hours ago.
I have had no responses from you since 2201 on the 3rd - have you responded since??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I replied just a short while ago and also a couple of hours ago.
OK I'm sorry the last post I had from you was regarding you going out to purchase a multimeter? Have you got one yet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I bought one, although I have never used anything like this before. However in anticipation of hearing back from you I decided I would take the back off the machine as I reckoned that this would be required. However I have now hit another problem in that I don't have the necessary tool for taking off the types of screw on the back. They are virtually a flat headed hexagonal type some of which are a bit recessed in the plastic cover on the back. I wonder now if when you said "did I have tools" that you were possibly meaning the type of spanner that would be needed? I could probably get those one's round the edge of the machine off, with some effort, but wouldn't be able to get to these recessed ones. Don't know where we go from here?
OK it is likely to be a Torx T15 or T20, if you can get one out you can then take it with you to a local tool shop or the likes of B&Q and match it up with whats on offer. We can then progress with the repair.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where about and what is that and how do I get to it?
That is the size of the screwdrivers that you will likely need they are call Torx screwdrivers
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thanks for that, sorry for misunderstanding. I will try and get that tomorrow
Just take out one of the screws and take it with you to match it up.
Experience: I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, it's me back again. I managed to get one of these tools (a pack of 4, different sizes) for removing the screws. With a bit of effort, so far I have managed to get the plastic cover bit off the back and the bulge plate. This has not provided anything too much to view and I am supposing that I might have to take more of the back off? I await your further comments, although further work on it will have to wait until tomorrow.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I still await your reply to my last message which I sent you 4 days ago.
If you copy and paste the following link into your browser we are both singing off the same songsheet. When you are there come back to me --
http://shop.zanussi.co.uk/search?ssv=91609335700
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I've done that now.
OK go to the page and look for the tumble dryer heater assembly. Once you have found that I need you to set your meter to continuity - if you dont know how to do this tell me the manufacturer and model and I'll have a look
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's B & Q's own brand meter.
OK does it have a model number so that I can look it up?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The number on the front of the machine is MS8233A. (600V Cat!!!).
2 other numbers on the back:-
a) MBFH046460
b) B&Q S053 3LE/15W31
OK probes in common and V (middle and right holes) then turn the dial to what looks like a side on triangle with a spike through the centre. Put the probes together ie touching and tell me if you get a beep.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I assume the Black lead goes in the COM hole and the RED one in the right hand-side hole. and turned the switch to what I think is the Triangle with the spike through it (about 2 o'clock position on the dial) and put the probes together but no sound (and nothing shown on the display screen).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I still await a reply to the above.
OK does the meter work at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will take it back to B & Q tomorrow and get it checked out, then get back to you.
OK I assume you have put the batteries in, before you do just check the manual and check that it has a beeper and that is the place where you put it to get a beep, on some you have to press one of the buttons to get it to lock the beeper.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, sorry for taking so long to get back to you. I have had it checked out and all is fine with it and it has a continuous beeper.
The reason I have taken so long to get back to you is that I think I have caught the flu and had it now for a few days. The tumble dryer is actually out in my garden shed and I did not fancy going out there for a few hours or so in this weather. It is really freezing in the shed, as you can imagine, as I don't have any heating in it. Hopefully within the next couple of days this will clear up and I will be able to get out a bit as I assume I will have to spend a bit of time out there for the next stage of the proceedings.
Thank you..
OK no worries, come back to me when you are fit and well and we can continue - in the meantime keep warm and we can continue. Kindly not that after seven days the question can only be opened by you but as soon as you log on it will be forwarded to me. Speak to you soon.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Ok thanks for that I hope that this goes away in the next day or so as I am totally cheesed off with it. I think it's the first time I've had the flu, it disnae half floor you. Anyway hope to get back to you sooner rather than later. Cheers.
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 12 months ago.
Keep nipping at the Scotch it doesn't cure you but it makes you feel better !!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi again. Not quite cured yet but running out of whisky so am gonnae have to try and get back to the tumble tomorrow. I will start by taking the back of the machine off as I assume this will be the first thing required? I will get back to you tomorrow sometime after I have done this.
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 11 months ago.
OK
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I now have the plastic cover off the back and also the metal bulge cover off, do I need to go further?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Reply still awaited to my last question.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Is anyone going to reply to my enquiry?
Expert:  adamd-mod replied 11 months ago.
Hello there,
Please note, I am just a moderator for this category, I can only try and find experts to help, I can't answer the question itself.
Adam
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok I will wait. The person previously dealing with this seemed to know what was to happen next, can you not pass it back to him as he suggested previously?
Thanks for getting back to me.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Adam
I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Adam
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
If you close it will I get a full refund? I have also spent about £15.00 on tools.
What's wrong with passing it to the person who was dealing with it originally?
Sorry I have been away at a Trade Show - I need to ask you some more questions now that we have the tools. There seems to be some slight confusion as to whether the appliance is in the first instance heating at all and also if the dryer stops tumbling mid cycle ~ could you clarify that firstly?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It still heats up and eventually it will dry the clothes. Usually I will put it on and it will go through its cycle but doesn't usually dry it and when it's finished the red light will be flashing. I will then start it up again and usually the same thing will happen. Usually a 3rd attempt will be needed and it will eventually have dried everything, although possibly not a 100%. (I sometimes take a couple of the heavier items out, like towels to try and assist things along).Therefoe i'm not sure if it's stopping mid cycle.
OK what I am trying to establish is if the motor is faulty or that the heater cuts off mid cycle. Can you run it through a short drying cycle say 60 minutes and tell me if the drum stops turning at any stage ?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok, i will try that and get back to you.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I've just remembered (as I mentioned previously) I have the plastic bit and the bulge plate off the back of the machine just now (it's outside in my garden shed) do you know if it will be ok to run it like it is or will I have to put these bits back on again before running it?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry for delay my computer is playing up I've now had to revert to my iPad. I just remembered I have the plastic cover and the bulge plate off the back of the machine, will I have to put them back on before running it again?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I put the plate back on. I have run it a couple of times (with nothing in it) and it seems to be going ok. I will try it again with stuff in it and see what happens then and get back to you again. (Therefore might be a couple of days).
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Put it through a programe today with damp clothes in it, for 45 mins. At the end of the programe (it went for the full 45 mins) the clothes were not completely dry, and at the end the red light was flashing on and off. I therefore put it on again, this time a different programe, all cupboard which doesn't have a specific time. I went out about half an hour later to check on it and it was still going. I stopped the machine to check what the clothes were like and they were all dry, so obviusly it works, to a fashion. Any thoughts now or to try anything else?
Personally I have found that these dryers which use sensor drying have a habit of leaving the clothes damp, certainly mine does. Like you I tend to just use the timed periods. At this stage knowing that the dryer is working leads me to conclude that either the main circuit board is not reading the sensor or alternatively the sensor is faulty.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
So despite me buying a multimeter and tools for taking the back off the machine I'm no further forward and if I want to get this sorted I will now have to get someone in to look at it and repair the fault. This I would expect will cost a fair bit if either a new main circuit board or sensor is required? What would you suggest the best way of progressing here, getting it repaired or just looking for a new machine?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Reply still awaited.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
How much longer have got to wait for a reply?
Kindly put the appliance in to a normal program and when it stops with its led flashing count the number of flashes - usually there are say 3 flashes of the led followed by a gap and then the same three flashes. If you can tell me the number of flashes we should be able to work out the fault if any. Kindly note there are 4 different versions of you model all slightly different.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I did try this yesterday but it was rather inconclusive. (I had put the machine on before reading your comment). It seemed like when I put it on a programme for a certain time, say 25 or 35 mins, when it stopped the red light was just flashing continuously, but when I put it on a type programme say "all cupboard" when it stopped, that was it, no flashing light. In both cases the clothes weren't dry. However I would like to double check this after running another programme.. Therefore can I leave my proper reply for a couple of more days after we've done a further wash?
OK I think that would be a good idea, unfortunately in most cases above the tests or results are not consistent, in theory if you put it on timed it is just that, if you put it on sensor sometimes it works but with poor results which from experience seems to be the case with these anyway. The service manual clearly states that if the appliance has a fault this is shown by the number of flashes the led indicates. Try it for a couple of days and come back to me with your results.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok will do, thanks.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi again. I can confirm that after using it again the results were the same as the last time. When putting it on a specific programme it finishes with the red light flashing. When putting it on a timed programme it finishes with no red flashing light. It was difficult to know if there had been much heat given as the clothes were quite dry when putting them in thanks to the slightly better weather we are having just now. I await your further comments.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Reply still awaited.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Now ore than a week gone by and still no reply, why the hold up?
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 10 months ago.
OK here is the conundrum, the results you you are giving are not consistent, sometimes it works fine on sensor dry other times it doesn't. The fact that it work in standard mode means that the actual drying components are working, it is the sensing side that is erratic. This then leaves three options, change the sensor, check the wiring or replace the main pcb The appliance being electronically controlled is able to do self tests during its operation and if it finds a fault will indicate this by displaying an error code eg E31 ~~ the only error that is not shown during operation is when the main circuit board is faulty. I am happy to take you through the self test procedure if you wish but it will take about an hour unless we get lucky and the error (if there is one shown) is shown early in the test procedure.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It sounds as though this is getting a bit too much for me (even with your assistance) to try and find the fault and then to fix the problem. It sounds like that the only sensible options would be to get a professional in to look at it and fix it ( assuming that it can be repaired) which would probably end up costing probably a three figure amount, between time and parts or just look for another machine? What is your opinion on this?
If it were me I would buy a standard tumble dryer without sensor dry and with a electro/mechanical timer. Steer clear of the Whirlpool Group products, ie Whirlpool, Indesit, Hotpoint & Creda. My likely choice would be White Knight made by Crosslee of Halifax - good basic durable tumble dryers. No bells or whistles just do what they are supposed to do - dry clothes.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok, thanks for that, it sounds as though that should probably do rather than try and go any further with trying to repair the one we've got. Will try and look out for the one you have suggested. Cheers.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have now got a new tumble drier after all this correspondence with yourselves. I note however that you have continued to charge me £19.00 per month since December to date. I trust that you will now arrange for these amounts to be refunded to my a/c. If my answers had been dealt with at the correct time, rather than having to wait for days at a time the matter could have been dealt with in a couple of weeks, as opposed to the near three months it did take, although I suspect that this was done intentionally by you to try and extract more money from my a/c.I suppose that I will have to bear the costs of the useless tools I went out and bought on your suggestions (multimeter and troc spanners). An early reply would be good, this time..
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
In addition 25% was supposed to be taken off my "next question" but this has not been dealt with either.