George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

I have a ***** ***** branded cooker, Alias, I Think" Smeg

Customer Question

HI I have a ***** ***** branded cooker, Alias, I Think" Smeg SUK62CMX8. The clock /timer suddenly stopped workin,not even lighting up although otherwise cooker is working ok.
I have gained access to the clock unit which has four unmarked connections The first two of these appear to be connected to a relay on the board .the fourth connection is looped by a white cable to connection 1. whist the third a red cable that together with the other three disapears into the wiring harness and is almost impossible to trace. my first impulse was to obtain a new clock unit(V.Expensive) but first I checked for an input voltage. there doesn't appear to be one. As the clock unit has the appearance of a low voltage device. several Is and electrolytic capacitors. I searched for a power unit but cannot find one.
Can you please advise on 1. what the input voltage should be And 2. where it is derived from.
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 11 months ago.
Hello, my name is George..
The voltage input to the clock should be 240v AC
The power to the clock is derived from the terminal block usually via a 140 deg Thermal Cutout
This is the case with nearly all clocks and the clocks control the main oven via relays..
If the main oven is working and heating then the likelihood is that the clock is ok but the display is not working.
Kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi George , this answer is far too vague to be of any use to me . I need to know the whereabouts of the terminal block .thermal cutout, etc. I paid for a detailed answer if this is detailed what is a basic answer. Surely as an expert you have a pile of service manuals at your disposal and should be able to give me the details I paid for. This Answer Minus three stars. Can I have more feedback please
You asked two questions, which I answered.. I can only answer the questions that you ask me.
The terminal block is the connection on the rear where the main wire enters the appliance. The wires you want are on the inside of the back panel.
The Thermal cutout is just above the terminal block. You will see the wire going into it and also coming from it going to the clock.
To test/trace the correct wire, use a continuity tester on the disconnected wire from the clock and touch the wire at the Thermal cutout... If there is no continuity then the wire is no good.
Test between the two terminals of the Thermal Cutout.. If there is no throughput then the Thermal Cutout is no good.
But as I have already stated; if the main oven is heating then the likelihood is that the clock is ok and it is the display on the clock that is broken.
Also, If you accept the additional service request then I can supply you with the wiring diagram.
regards