Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

I have Dimplex Monterey panel heater. Most of the time

Customer Question

Hi, I have Dimplex Monterey panel heater. Most of the time when turning it on - the power light comes on, then shortly after the heating light comes on and then from 2 to 20 seconds later it turns off. There is a slight humming noise from the left side of the heater when it is on. Occasionally the heater will stay on for longer but generally when moving the thermostat slider it will turn off or turns off by itself. The lights also dim as soon as the heating light turns on (they do on another working heater but seem to dim more on this one). What is the likely cause of the fault?
Expert:  adamd-mod replied 11 months ago.
Hello there,
Please note, I am just a moderator for this category, I can only try and find experts to help, I can't answer the question itself.
Adam
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Adam, I'm happy to wait.
Please try find an expert.
Thanks for getting back to me.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Adam
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Please close this question and refund my payment.
Expert:  Michael replied 11 months ago.
Hi this is Tech Michael I can help you if you still want sorry for the long delay, it takes some time to find the right tech for each question sometimes;-)Thanks again for your patience.Please let me knwo if you would like to work on this one with me?Tech Michael
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Michael,If you're familiar with the device then yes please - lets continue.Thanks
Expert:  Michael replied 11 months ago.
Thanks do you have any electronics experience or would you just like to fix this one with my help, if your handy and have a few basic tools you can.How old is your heater?Also does the fan sound normal?ThanksTech Michael
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I've got basic knowledge and experience and various tools so should be ok.
Need some help isolating the issue.I don't think there is a fan in these heaters - if there is its very quiet?
Expert:  Michael replied 11 months ago.
Hi yes this one doesnt have one its radiant.How old is your yours? And does it get a lot of use?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
its 3 to 6 years old, doesn't get used much as in a spare room.
Expert:  Michael replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for all that info one last question,When it shuts down, does it re start on its own, or fo you have to wait a bit before you can re start it (i know it only stays on a few secs).Thank youTech Michael
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No it doesn't come back on.The on switch is electronic so one off its then in off mode.
There are 2 leds - one for on and one for when the device is heating.
Only turns off when device starts heating, ie if turning thermostat down below room temp then it will stay on.
Normally turn off shortly after heating led comes on but occasionally stays on a bit longer - when staying on longer the heater does get hot.
Expert:  Michael replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for that. This is more than likely the safety circuit breaker in this unit tripping out. It happens when the breaker gets worn or fails for other reasons.I would replace only that part first. It is possible the main control board is bad as well, but that is highly unlikely with this heater;-)To get that part its called a Thermal cut out.When you have this part I will help you make the repair;-) Its pretty simple.The best place to get that part is : http://www.dimplex.co.uk/customer_support/spare_parts.htmPlease visit that site for the contact information to order this component.Sorry for the long delay.In any case, I will stick with you until this is complete.Please rate kindly thus far, it won't cost you anything to rate my service to you kindly,There is NO cost to rate Kindly;-)But it is the only way I am credited for my time and expertise in this field.Then you can reach me by simply replying to this message anytime.Thank you and have a nice day!Tech Michael
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks, I've got an identical working heater so will try the cutout from there and see if it resolves the issue. If it does then I'll order the part.The heater makes a noise when it turns on - is this also indicative of the cutout failing?
Expert:  Michael replied 11 months ago.
Hi yes, it sure is ;-)Please rate so I can stick with you, no cost to do that.Tech Mike
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The issue was the control board and I had to replace that, the cutout was fine. This was easy to test once I opened the heater and I think you should have guided me through this rather than just suggesting i replace a part and see if that resolves the issue. Anyhow thanks for your help on the matter.
Expert:  Michael replied 10 months ago.
Hi I was here, if you needed me all you had to do was drop me line;-( I am always happy to help all the way through. Please rate my service to you in a kind fashion so I can close this for you, Im glad you got it working! Have a great day and there is no cost to rate kindly;-)Tech Michael