George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

Michael,this is going to be tricky as its not my gas hob it's my sisters and she i

Hi Michael,this is going to be tricky as its not my gas hob it's my sisters and she is 90 miles away.It is a 5 burner hob and none of them will light using the ignition ,if she uses a match then one or two can be lit but not all.What do you think ?
she has an electric oven and the hob is about 10 years old. What other information would be usefull ?
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is George..
Please tell me the make and the model of the hob in question
Kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi George I thought that I had sent you a reply already ,but maybe there was a problem.The hob is a Bosch with a wok burner in the center.I cannot tell you the model number as its not mine and its 90 miles away and my sister doesn't know the model number either.
"if she uses a match then one or two can be lit but not all".. Does that mean only two will light or, only two will light with the ignition?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry i have been away for a day.none of them will light from the ignition and only two of them will stay lit using a match.
Can you tell me the burner sizes of the two that will stay lit.. Small Medium or Large?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi george i think its the bottom right and the middle wok burner that
will stay lit.The hob design is that the 5 control knobs are in a line
along the botton of the unit.
Thanks colin.
She is going to need a Gas Safe engineer to call out to the appliance as the gas valves for those that are not currently working at all will need to be changed. Whilst this is being done, the ignition generator can be changed to allow all burners to ignite by spark rather than match.
regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So its probably cheaper to buy a new hob at 300 pounds ,would you think ?
That would depend on the cost of the parts, and the cost of the replacement hob taking into account that you would want one of an equivalent quality.The valves are not really expensive and neither are the ignition generators. But a replacement hob can be quite expensive if having to match a good quality five burner hob together with the fitting of the unit.My advice would be to get an engineer in to check that unit out. Maybe some of the valves can be reconditioned rather than replaced.
I am only paid by the company for my assistance on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.
regards