George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

I have a Hotpoint WMf760 washing machine. The machine is

Hi, I have a Hotpoint WMf760 washing machine. The machine is very noisy and shakes during the spin cycle. I have opened the machine and checked the cement counterweights on the drum and they look perfect and the bolts are all tight. Everything seems fine except for one of the shock absorbers (for want of a better name) has some brown powder on it. Will replacing the shock absorbers help? How do i know if its the bearing? The drum doesn't seem to have any movement other than what would be expected that it is suspended on springs and spinning it by hand creates some noise. Thanks
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 year ago.
If the damper (shock absorber) is damaged then this will cause the appliance to exhibit the signs that you have experienced... Changing the damper will help.. However, check the bearings first. To do this, take off the rear panel and remove the belt from the pulley wheel; go to the front of the appliance and spin the drum by hand... If there is any rumbling then the bearings are worn. Test for up/down movement of the inner drum at the front edge; this is also a sign of bearing wear.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your response. There is some noise when spinning the drum with the belt removed so I presume the bearings are worn. How easy and costly is it to replace the bearings on this machine? Is it a DIY job? Is it a worthwhile job or should I look at replacing the machine - everything else seems to be in good condition.
Unfortunately, in their wisdom Hotpoint/Indesit decided to use a sealed tub on this appliance; this sealed drum assembly cannot be split to remove or repair the inner drum, bearing support or bearings.
The Tub must be replaced as a complete unit
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As far as I understand this machine can come with either a welded or screwed drum (screwed with either 30mm or 35 mm shaft and bearings) - by the looks of things mine is a screwed drum but no idea how i tell shaft size. On the hotpoint spares website there are bearings for this model - both 30 and 35mm. In either case is it worth repairing? How can i tell what type of drum I have and what the bearings shaft size is if I do have a screwed drum?
According to the service manual in front of me, this appliance model comes only with the sealed tub.
Can you let me know the serial number and commercial code from the label on the rear of the appliance please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
L2 (54716) WMF760P###-##-####
From browsing the net: "This machine has both drum types fitted, just prise off the white plastic kick strip that runs along the bottom at the front. If there is a red. plastic disc to the right it has a screwed drum, if there is a black or white plastic pump filter that can be unscrewed then it has the welded drum which has to be changed as a complete unit."Mine has a red plastic disc.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Apparently another way of distinguishing:"Looking at it from the back which side does the drain hose come out of left or right? Looking from the back, left is welded tank and right is screwed tank."Mine comes out the right.
Your appliance was Manufactured on 27 Apr 2009 and has a sealed tub
Excerpt from the Service Manual:
"Drum Assembly
Note: This sealed drum assembly cannot be split to remove or repair the inner drum,bearing support or bearings.
It must be replaced as a complete unit.
External components such as weights, bolts and hoses, motor and belt etc. will need to be transferred from the faulty drum assembly."
If you remove the lid you will be able to determine the type of tub the appliance has.
A welded tub has a joint approx 5" from the front of the tub
A split tub has a joint in the middle level with the springs
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, thank you.On that note - in your opinion is it worth replacing the drum or should I replace the whole machine?If the whole machine - any recommendations (depth <=55 cm)?Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Joint in the middle level with the springs - see pic attached.Seems to contradict the manual?
Then that tub is repairable... but according to the service manual, an appliance with your commercial code has the welded tub.
That is strange... Was the appliance purchased new?
How to tell the bearing size:
The 30mm bearing drum will have a O with a / across it on the rear of the tub half
Going back to your earlier question: "There is some noise when spinning the drum with the belt removed so I presume the bearings are worn. How easy and costly is it to replace the bearings on this machine? Is it a DIY job? Is it a worthwhile job or should I look at replacing the machine - everything else seems to be in good condition."
I have done the job on repairing these drums many times.. The process costs between £30 - £80 in parts depending on the condition...
If it is just the bearing gone then the cost will be minimal and take about 90 mins for an experienced person.
Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it was purchased new.Thanks for your help. Any chance you're near E. Sussex :)