Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

Our fridge and freezer doors need resealing. Looking

Customer Question

Our fridge and freezer doors need resealing. Looking for a firm to obtain spares and carry out resealing. Our post code is GL7 4AD.
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.
Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries - could you give me the full ENr please - and when you refer to resealing what do you actually mean?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The seals on the doors to our Bosch Fridge Freezer need replacing. The fridge/freezer is working reasonably efficiently, however, the freezer tends to freeze up and it's not very energy efficient given that the seals are a bit loose.
Understood - would you kindly let me have the ENr which will be on the rating plate inside the appliance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The ENr number is *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please revert...ENr number has been provided.
OK both door seals are available at approximately £50 each. However they are very easy to diy - the question is, when you say that they are loose are we talking loose in the retainers or just leaving a gap between seal and door frame?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, one of the reasons for contacting you is that apart from obtaining some guidelines on how to resolve the problem, which you have now it seems done (thanks), we are not any good (putting it mildly) at DIY, so we would need some assistance! Re 'loose', there are, at this stage, tiny gaps between the seal and the door frame, and we are therefore keen that these do not become any bigger.
OK understood, it may however be that the door needs adjusting rather than the seal needing replacing. We can do this two ways, I can talk you through changing the door seals or I can find you an engineer that can do it for you but obviously this will cost you extra.
Do you require further assistance?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, checking locally if the 'handyman' we use can carry out the DIY, following which we will order the seals. Will contact you on Monday.
Best.
OK speak to you later.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Checked with our local handyman who would prefer that we ask a 'specialist' to replace the seals. Can you therefore assist with both ordering the seals and their replacement.
Many thanks.
Try this company they are local to you and will do the replacement as needed --
Gillmans Service Ltd 01452 509060
If you need further help come back to me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks for this lead, however, I just spoke with Gillmans, and given that we did not buy our fridge/freezer through them,they are unable to provide service, and in the case of Bosch fridge/freezer specifically, they do not possess the relevant 'software'?
Your thoughts?
My thoughts are that you are being fobbed off, bearing in mind that DAD run by Adrian Gillman is one of (if not the) largest distributors of appliances in the UK and their portfolio includes Bosch I cannot see any reason why they would make such a statement. Regarding the software, you don't need any, the Bosch spare parts system is readily accessible - herewith a link for your model -
http://www.bosch-home.co.uk/store/spareparts/KGU34665GBAntiBacteria/KGU34665GB/01
then spare parts list and diagrams, then page 2, part numbers 242326 & 475073
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks! They claim, as mentioned, that since I did not buy the appliance from them they cannot carry out this service? What next?
Absolute tosh - that would perhaps be a fair comment if it was still under manufacturers warranty but not once out of it, they just dont want the job. Well are you prepared to have a go?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sure; what next?
OK gently pull the seal out from the corner - it should just pop out of its retaining channel ~ then come back to me, you only need to do a couple of inches each side of the corner.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To be honest, we don't really want to go ahead as suggested; we might cause additional problems/damage?!
OK well I don't think I can assist you much more. This is a very simple repair but if you don't want to do it then I'm afraid you don't have much option other than going to Bosch and paying them £95 plus the cost of parts which is around another £100+ together with the VAT on top. I have searched my national database of engineers and I cannot find a single one in postcode GL7 that I would recommend. Unfortunately there is a national skill shortage of refrigeration engineers in the UK with some areas not covered at all. It seems that other than the manufacturer you have little options available in your area.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Finally managed to get in touch with Bosch UK. No joy via the call-centre (busy); no replies after filling in the on-line form. So I 'Tweeted' to complain and received a response within minutes!!
So, all now in hand. Spare parts ordered and engineer will come to fit.
Many thanks for all your assistance.
Pleased you managed to get it sorted.