Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

Microwave door-latch broke off. Door is now stuck shut.

Customer Question

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am Tech Michael a specialist expert in this field and I will be assisting you today. I am a Master Technician that's dedicated to giving you the best Answer possible.If you are new to the site, this is briefly how it works:1. We may need some back and forth to exchange information (if needed) and there is no extra cost for replying.2. I will give you the best possible Answer for your problem without the ability of actually being present with you.The better you describe the problem, the quicker I can help ;-)3. Remember to leave a Positive Rating ,it doesn't cost anything additional to rate kindly;-)I am only credited for my time and expertise if you rate kindly.How old is your Microwave?Also may I have the full model # ***** I can help you?Thank youTech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I bought it secondhand in summer 1999 - don't know how long other people had had it. Model R-7A50(B)M, SERIAL NO 10410601. Sorry for delay.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that information. Its pretty easy to replace that door latch, but it needs to be done from the inside of the casing. In other words you will need to open the unit up for that. But I would order that part first, it comes with instructions and I will be with you to help you do this safely and easily.Microwaves can contain Deadly voltage even when disconnected for their power supply!!!There is one part a capacitor you need to not touch but I will guide you and that part would only be live if there was a part failure inside which you don't seem to have;-)No worries there.The best place for this part is : http://www.buyspares.co.uk/Its best to call for this as they don't list all parts on site!If you cant locate it use the chat button on their site to bes sure you get the correct one;-) In any case, I will stick with you until this is complete.Please rate kindly thus far, it won't cost you anything to rate my service to you kindly,There is NO cost to rate Kindly;-)But it is the only way I am credited for my time and expertise in this field.Then you can reach me by simply replying to this message anytime.Thank you and have a nice day!Tech Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience: I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for reply. Sorry again for delay. Wondering if it's worth repairing as it's so old?? It's also wonky in other areas: keeps cutting out in middle of cooking (microwave, combi or whatever) so I have to keep pressing Start for it to continue and light no longer comes on. I'll start looking for that part on the website you recommended but would be great if you could just give brief opinion as to whether it's worth persevering with this one. Thanks.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi Personally I would replace the unit as something else will eventually fail, and besides the new ones are cheaper than that one was new and with more features ;-)ThanksPlease rate kindly before you go in any case, You wont lose me either way;-)ThanksTech Michaels
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you ... yes, I've been thinking for a while that I should do that, although I've really liked this one and it's given good service. Are there any combi-microwaves (microwave + convection oven .... I'm really not bothered about having a grill) that you particularly recommend or would warn against please?
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi I will check, but I would go with Panasonic or Sharp as I knwo they have a good rep at this time, that always changes though lol;-) I wish you all the best. Hope you had a great Holiday!Tech Michael ;-)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'd really like to get the door open as there's a curry from my fave curry house inside ... hmmmm. Any ideas?? Prise it off with a crowbar??/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I've heard Panasonic are good, and I have liked this Sharp model.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
LOL, you can pry it open , it will break the rest of the latch off, but you arent fixing it anyway ;-)Thats what I would do in this case just be careful of plastic parts flying off when you do.Tech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you ... I can't waste that curry ... just can't! Cheers ***** ***** and I'm now proceeding to the Argos website! All the best for 2016.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
SOunds AWESOME!