Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have a Whirlpool AWM710 front loading W/M that will not

Hi, I have a Whirlpool AWM710 front loading W/M that will not spin.
The machine pumps away water fine and I have checked the filter and motor brushes which are all good.
Looking on line it could be the door lock but I can't find what the resistance value should be. Does anyone have any idea or any other thoughts as to what will cause this problem?
John
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Is the washer door locking and does it fill with water and drain ok?
Is the drum turning at all during the wash cycle?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes the door locks, the water fills the drum then is pumped away fine. Once the programme gets to B it tries to spin a few times for a few seconds then stops again and carries on pumping even through it is empty and just carries on doing this until we manually move the programmer on to end the cycle.
The drum rotates throughout the wash cycle.
John
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Ok this has nothing to do with the door lock as if this was faulty then the washer wont start at all. As to the washer not spinning what kind of load is in there? Is it a single item or a full load?Have you tried it empty to see if it will spin?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have tried different loads including empty today into a bucket but the same thing happens as soon as it gets to the spin section of the programme it just keeps pumping out then the odd attempt at spinning.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Ok this in this case its more then likely the control board at fault.
But what you can try first is remove the top and from there locate the pressure switch. This is round and will have a few wires to it and a thin hose to the bottom of it.
Remove the hose and blow hard down it. Then retry it and see how it goes from there.
If still the same then its more then likely the control board as this is the part that controls the speed of the motor and tells it when to turn and when to spin.
This will be the cause and if you wanted it fixing it will need to be replaced. But this isn't a cheap part as whirlpool spares are very expensive.
Sorry its not looking like good news but if doing the pressure switch doesn't cure it then the control board itself will be the cause here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you. I have tested the PS for continuity and it's fine. Blown down the tube and now running the machine. I will let you know what happens.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
No worries, Fingers crossed that cold have sorted it. But if still the same then im afraid this is going to be the control board at fault here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, unfortunately it was no different, machine would not spin and timer moved past B without trying to spin off.
Do you happen to know the part number for the control board, I may be lucky and find one cheap somewhere before I go ahead and replace the machine?
Thanks for your help and advice
John
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
I can get you it no problem.
You need to post the service number please. It will be on a sticker n the inside of the door and start 85 and is 12 digits long.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's 857051018977
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
The part number for your model is 481228219832.
Fingers crossed you find a cheap one as a new one is around £140.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Daniel. This is typical for me we are selling the house with the white goods and now I need to replace the washer for someone else. It could have had the decency of waiting another few weeks before it broke down! Cheers
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could I ask a follow up question please? How is the defective part (control board) attached go the machine? I have removed the top and the four screws on the facia front (two behind soap dispenser) but this does not release the facia.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Ok once you have them screws off look on the top as there may be another on there and then it should pop off from there
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** off eventually. There were two flat plastic lugs hidden. One under the timer and one around the back of the soap dispenser. I just wanted to find out what was wrong with it. When I took it apart I found a burnt out contact on one of the timer contacts.