Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

Michael, I have a bosch type s16p6b dishwasher that gave e14 error. After cleaning incomi

Customer Question

Michael,
I have a bosch type s16p6b dishwasher that gave e14 error. After cleaning incoming and outgoing filters it is giving e18 after a minute or 2.
Tony
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.
Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries - OK I need you to do something for me so give me a clearer idea of what is happening. Come back to me when you are around.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ian,
I am near the dishwasher now.
Tony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ian,
Are you around?
Tony
Can you put it on a prewash and tell me if you can hear the drain pump operating almost immediately after you start it of or just a dull hum?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is not a dull hum. Something is running almost immediately.
OK E18 indicates a drain time fault, or to explain, the microprocessor allocates a certain period of time for the appliance to pump out all the water, if that time is exceeded it thinks it has a problem and comes up with a fault code. Next thing, take a kettle of hot boiling water, remove the metal filters and pour it into the sump of the dishwasher ie the base of the wash area, leave it a couple of minutes and then start a program and tell me if it empties all the water?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The error is not E18 now. It is E14.
OK E14 is a flow meter fault, you will need to remove the top and right hand side and check the reed switch that measures the amount of water that goes into the appliance. Its a strip down job - you will need a Torx T20 to remove the panels.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have removed the left side panel and can see the reed switch which I guess is operated by a magnet inside? However, I can't get to the spinning component which is inside the plastic module.
Usually the actual turbine itself is OK but its the reed switch clipped on to it that causes the problem, firstly pull off the connector cable a couple of time and then reconnect and see if that works, otherwise you will have to replace the read switch It is available on the Bosch spares website or from most of the parts suppliers as its a commonly replaced item.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have pulled the reed off and put it back in. Now the fault code is E18. It had cold water in the bottom. I restated it and it pumped the water out of the bottom.
So cancel the program and start again with the reed switch reconnected and tell me what you get?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I put it on pre rinse. Display shows 0:15 for a long time. "Check water" light comes on. It sounds like it is filling. After a few minutes display goes to 0:01 and then it starts pumping out. After a while it gives error code E18. There is still a little water in the bottom.
OK you need to change the reed switch, the appliance is starting but because the turbines number of revolutions is not being counted by the read swtich the appliances is shutting down
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ian,
Thanks for this. I will get a new reed switch, fit it and let you know how it goes.
OK as I have gone as far as I can for the moment would you kindly rate the information given to you by selecting from the star rating at the top of the page once done you can come back to me with further questions on a free of charge basis but it allows me to shut down the question on my screen. Thank You for using JA and have a nice day. Ian
Do you require further assistance?
Experience: I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ian,
Sorry for delay in rating. I have just submitted the rating. Thank you very much for your help. I have ordered the reed switch for the flow meter from Bosch and it should come next Tuesday or Wednesday.
Tony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ian,
Well today, at last, the reed switch arrived and I put it in.
You are a legend. The Bosch dishwasher works again!
Thank you very much.
Tony
An excellent outcome and all the better as you managed it all on your own, well done. Would you now kindly rate the information/help given by selecting from the star listing, if you need further help come back to me. Thank You for using JA and have a great day - Ian
Thank You for the rating Tony.