Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

Whirlpool AKZ 161/1X/03 oven light stays on even when the oven

Whirlpool AKZ 161/1X/03 oven light stays on even when the oven is turned off.
Please note that although the oven light (cooking department) stays on, it is dim and not at its usual output until the oven is turned on.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
If the oven light is staying dim when it should be on then its getting a voltage to it. Its not full voltage hence its only dim but its getting some causing this.
Now for this fault its either the control board at fault or you have an earth fault in there which is sending a small voltage to the lamp holder.
If you have a decent multi meter or megger you need to pull the oven out and then test the oven to earth. If you have a short to earth then you need to find the cause of this buy disconnecting the elements one at a time until it clears on the meter.
But if theres no earth short on the oven then its the main control board at fault here which would need to be replaced.
So im afraid if you don't have the correct test meters then its going to be a hard one to find the fault on this as you wont be able to test it.
If you need anymore info just get back to me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
DanielThank you for your answer.
I have no multi meter to undertake your tests that you suggest but I would have thought if there was leakage to earth then the mcb would trip.However, one important item note is that the oven lamp is only dim when it's turned off. The lamp still fully illuminates when the oven is turned on.Therefore is the fault with the main pcb or the control pcb (attached to oven control knob and temperature control knob)?
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
As to the earth leak if its a direct short then yes it will trip out the mcb. But it can leak to earth but not enough to trip it out and this is when you get faults like elements coming on on there own? Neon lights glowing and oven lamps on.
And I know what you mean by it being dim when off and bright when lit. I got that part.
To be honest its more likely the pcb but not the one attached to the knobs its the bigger main board as that's the one that sends the voltage.
But sometimes ive replaced boards and it did the same and it turned out one of the elements was failing to earth slightly but not enough to trip the rcd out.