Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

Hoover HNWL 7166 washing machine The machine has water,

Hoover HNWL 7166 washing machine
The machine has water, electricity and lights showing but will not start the was cycle. On starting it sounds as if it is pumping out and the stops.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Awaiting a reply.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have put water into the machine via a hose and it pumps out happily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When the pump is running the door lock light is on but I can still open the door
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Do you get any flashing lights from it when it wont start?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As soon as it's gone through the drain cycle the pump stops (after approx 2 mins). It then shows a steady stop light and door lock light, even though I can open the door at any time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The door lock light goes off after 30 secs
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Ok from the sounds of this its going to be either the lock itself or the control board here if the door isn't locking.
To check this you need to open the door and remove the outer door seal clamp and then unlip the door seal.
Now make sure its unplugged and then remove the door lock.
Disconnect the wiring and there you will see 3 tags. You need a multi meter and test between all of them and you should get a reading between 2 of them. If you don't then the door lock is the fault and will need to be replaced.
But if the lock is fine then the control board will be the fault now powering the lock for it to work. In this case the control board will need to be replaced.
So try that and see how it goes. But if you don't have a multi meter then im afraid its a case of replacing the lock to see if it works. As 7 out of 10 times its the lock that causes this so you could take the gamble and replace the lock and see how that goes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I changed the lock a month or two back but the machine was never used after that. Either it was a faulty new lock or I didn't fit it properly. I will carry out the tests you recommend and get back to you. Thanks
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
No worries that's fine.
If its had a new lock then its possibley the control board at fault here then im afraid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a trick to removing the electronic door lock mechanism. Very difficult to see it.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Its either 2 screws holding it on or its little pips which you press in and push the lock backwards to release it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Removed it. I have a 900 ohm resistance between two of the terminals
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Ok so that's showing the lock is fine.
Im afraid to say this is looking like the control board is the issue.
When you replace the old lock had it failed?
Its just that in the past ive seen it were the locks fail and takes the control board out as well on these.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The mechanical part of the lock had failed due to abuse the plastic handle had broken. I did not touch the electronic mechanism at all when I did the work
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Ok it was just a thought as ive have seen it before.
But if the washer isn't starting and the lock is testing ok then im afraid its all pointing to the control board here im afraid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Somehow after removing and refitting the lock mechanism, the machine is operating and though it is showing that the door is locked I can still open it. I've had the machine filling and draining but not following any full programme. I can open the door at any point, even though the door lock light is on.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Ok if its now working but the door isn't staying locked then its usually down to the door lock itself. As when its running it shouldn't allow the door to open. As it is then the lock isn't locking itself there.
Also as a thought just check the door pin on the door itself isn't broken as well.
But if that's ok then its going to be a faulty lock here.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Just wondering how you got on with the appliance as the question is still open.
Do you still need more help on this?
If not then if you could rate the answer that would be great.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The machine runs ok but the door won't lock. We've decided to run it in this mode rather than repair it thanks.