Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have a smeg S25STRP american style freezer similar to whirlpool the

Customer Question

i have a smeg S25STRP american style freezer similar to whirlpool
the lights flash on the front panel - -
i can reset it by holding the on button and the door swith it also frosts up inside on the element
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Has the fridge section gone warm as well?
When you say it frosts up on the inside element is it just a thin layer or frost on it or a big ice build up around it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i had light frost on the fins -element which i have defrosted twice but still builds up with thick ice around the components the freezer temp is 18 checked with thermometer but fridge is 10
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Ok so after you defrost it does it work for a week or so then?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no it frost up same day normally within the hour
I've checked the door seal
looked for gaps in the door
it seems to be connected to the flashin g lights on the door
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Ok the frosting up on that is normal as that's how it works. It pumps the gas around the evaporator which is that part and then that starts to collect frost on there.
Have you just defrosted it fully and then turned it back on hoping the display will be correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have defrosted it ,but the panel light still flashers showing - - instead of the temperature ie 18
is frosting and icing normal on a frost free frrezer
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Ok im with you know. If you have defrosted it and turned it back on then that's normal. As the display will show the -- -- until it reaches the temperature it is inside. As the display only reads from -14 to about -24 I think. So until it reaches them tempertures it cannot show the temperature on the display so it stays like -- --. Give it about 4 hours or so running and then check it and im sure you will find it will show the correct temperature it is then. Let me know how it goes. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
after 2 hours it starts to flash again i then have to reset the freezer again
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Ok so does the temperature actually get down to -18 and then it goes to -- -- on the display?
Do any other lights flash on the front control unit?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry i had to go out
yes the temp stays at 18 inside the freezer but after about hours the panel displays - - no other lights flash
during the night whilst we are asleep the panel goes to - - and the temp remains at 18 .so the panel will flash - - after 2 hours after i reset it
the temp stays at 18 in the freezer
the fridge temp is at 10 but shows 3 on the panel
the freezer inside has ice and frost build up
are you aware of the model it is made by whirlpool but sold as Smeg ,
i feel that we are not getting anywhere with this enquiry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do i get my £20 back please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry i had to go out
the temp stays at 18 in the freezer
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Its ok I know this is a whirlpool built side by side as I do used to actually work for Whirlpool so I know how they work.
If you want to end this now then you need to email customer services from your home page and they will issue you the refund.
Just don't rate the answer and they will do the refund for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no ,please carry on and accept my apologiesSteve
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Not a problem at all.
So the freezer still stays at -18 inside but the fridge section isn't cooling in there?
Can you still hear the fan running inside the freezer?
Are all the panels refitted back in the freezer now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi
the internal temp on the freezer is 18 tested by a thermometer even if the unit has been blinking - - all nighti can see the fan turning in the freezer -i haven't refitted the panels back in yet due to the massive amount of ice /frost build up
if i take photos will it help
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the fridge is on but not very cold i used a thermometer and it shows 10
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thats plus 10
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
photo added
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
I see it all now.
With all that ice there the appliance will not get cold at all in the fridge and the freezer wont be as cold as it should hence it flashing the -- -- as the sensors in there isn't picking it up due to lack of air flow.
You need to melt all that ice completey from there. Use a hairdyer and fully melt the ice till its all gone.
Then wrapped around the evaporator will you see the defrost heater. Follow the wires to the top and if you have a multi meter you need to test the resistance of the heater. If faulty then you need to replace the heater as this is a defrost issue for all that ice to build up in there. It isn't melting the ice away.
But if the heater is fine then it will be the main control board at the back at fault here.
But first fully defrost it with a hairdryer to completely clear that ice. then refit the panels and turn it back on and after a few hours it should be normal on the display.
But check the heater first as this is a defrost issue for that much ice to build up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok will do ,i'll do it over the weekend can i come back to you
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
No worries that's fine. Just post back on here and I will respond as soon as I can.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i think it will probably be the main control board ,will this also effect the production of ice.i swithed the ice maker off about a year ago after no water came into the ice maker even though i had water from the dispener
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
It can effect the ice maker as well. But another thing that happens a lot on these Whirlpool side by side is the water line into the ice maker freezes and this stops the water from entering the ice maker. So if you are defrosting it look at the water line to the ice maker at the top and check that isn't frozen as well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok speak after the weekendsteve
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Speak soon.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi DanielI'v defrosted the unit ,put it all back together again .
the Temperature seems to be stable at 18 and 3 in fridge but its making a clicking noise not sure if its front panel etc-no lights flashing
it was doing this before it all started -sorry i forgot to mention that i have had the problem on and off for about 6 month ,but this is the first time I've really defrosted it properlySteve
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Ok see how it goes but if you have clicking noises from the front board this will be a control board fault.
If you are handy at electronics then you can try and replace just the capacitors on there as when this happens its a weak capacitor that causes this so replacing them cures that fault.