Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have a slimline Bosch dishwasher which has stopped working.

I have a slimline Bosch dishwasher which has stopped working. The lights come on and there is a feint hum when it is switched on. I noticed that some water was left in the base as well. It has been very noisy filling recently but as it was over the Christmas holiday and I wasn't here much I left it.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Is the humming noise coming from the bottom of the dishwasher?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well it seems to come from the control panel at the top
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Ok that rules out being the pump then.
What happens when you cancel the cycle out?
If you start a new cycle the first thing it should do is bring the pump on. Does it do this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it doesn't, could be the pump has gone?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry that was a silly question you already said it wasn't the pump!!
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
That's what I thought at the start as you said it had water in and it was making a humming noise, This is usually due to the pump but the humming noise is from the bottom as its usually the pump humming as it cannot turn.
What you need to if this is built in remove the outer door panel and the wooden kick board at the bottom of the kitchen.
Then scoop out all the water inside the dishwasher.
Then remove the metal panel below the door.
There you will see a hose on the left. Pull this out and then you will see the drain pump.
This is a twist fit pump so you need to twist the pump off and clear out any debris that's in there. As its sometimes bits of food or glass that blocks it up.
But if this isn't a built in then you need to pull it out and remove the top, both side panels and the outer door panel and then the bottom plastic panel and then you can access the pump from there.
Try that and see what you find as the fault you describe does sound like a blocked up pump.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks I'll give it a try
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
No worries
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right did all that and cleaned the filter which was not really clogged, but could not see the pump properly but found by listening to the 'hum' with m/c out of situ the sound IS coming from the pump
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Ok the pump is blocked or faulty here so that is going to be the fault.
Can you post the full model number please. It will be etched onto the door frame on the top left as you open the door and starts E-nr.
Also have you access the underneath on this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Model SRSL02 GB/15
Cannot access unerneath so could not see pump fully
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Im afraid that model number isn't coming up.
But if you cannot access the underside of the dishwasher then you wont be able to get to the pump as its all done frim underneath the dishwasher on these im afraid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh dear someone else was reading out the number to me, so I just looked properly and it should be SRS55L02 GB/15(FD 8404) and as I think I said in the beginning the m/c is approx 10 yrs old. Also the whole of the base appears to be moulded plastic which houses wiring points, etc. I'll have to call someone out for that as it appears the m/c may need turning upside down!
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
That's great ive got it now.
As this is a free standing then you have to remove the top panel.
Then remove both side panels.
Then remove the outer door panel.
Then you need to remove the plastic trim at the bottom.
Now with all that off you will see the plastic base cover. Look between that and the door and theres another metal cover.
Remove that and then you can see the hose and pump from there.
If you do get someone in then they wont turn it upside down as this is something you should never do on a dishwasher as you get water in all the wrong places.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help, I've had enough for tonight will have another look at it tomorrow, can I leave 'finishing' till then or do I have to rate the Expert now?
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
That's fine. Do it when ever your ready and you can rate when you are ready to that's not a problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry but couldn't get back to you today, will be having another look at the dishwasher tomorrow
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right we've done all that and found that everything is attached to the plastic base moulding. Although the fan can be seen it cannot be accessed unless all the plastic base is removed - as far as we can see - and although the fan can be moved with diffuculty using a screwdriver, it is not possible to see enough to know whether it is blocked or US. Will have to call someone out. It has been an interesting experience though so thanks for your help.