Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have a Whirlpool upright freezer 5019 303 33009 and the temperature

Customer Question

I have a Whirlpool upright freezer 5019 303 33009 and the temperature display light starts clicking on and off every second, this seems to happen every few days. If i switch the unit off and on again it seems to reset, and then works OK again until next time.I spend a lot of time away from home and wonder what would happen if i was not around to reset the unit
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Can you post the model number of the freezer please. Its usually on a sticker inside the freezer on the side wall either at the top or the bottom.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Model AFG 7060 Service No 8549 706 15000
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Im afraid this fault is the control board at fault at the top. On there is a relay which if fails causes this kind of fault. Ive replaced many of them for this fault.
It comes as a complete plastic control panel with the board in there.
But if this happens while you are away then it can just shut down and fully defrost itself. Then all of a sudden it will just come back on again and refreeze. Now the problem here is your food will have defrosted and refroze which isn't good as you will know.
So you really need to get this sorted soon as really as then you know it will be fine.
Now its not a fire hazard if that's what you thinking as ive never seen them set on fire before so that's not a problem. But the main problem is the food refreezeing which isn't good im afraid.
So replace the control unit at the top if you can and that should cure it. The part number if you want it is 481245228546
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will i be able to fit this part myself (I am an engineer)
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Yes its a straight forward swap over.
You just need to remove the front trim at the top and swap the wiring over and that's it really.