Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

I have new Smeg Victoriana oven and combination oven built

Customer Question

I have new Smeg Victoriana oven and combination oven built in appliances. I really dislike the handles on them and would like to change them to the ones from my old SMEG ovens. The size is different but it is not a problem to alter the length to fit as the handle and end fittings are in 2 parts but my question is can it be done? Is it possible to change them? It's not something I would undertake to do myself. I really like SMEG and wanted white and Classic style but for me the handles just spoil it. The Victoriana is the closest match to my existing one which is really old now - unfortunately.
Many thanks.
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.
Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries - I am sure that between us we can do something - what would help me is if you could give me the model number of the one you currently have (ie the one you dont like) and the model number of the ones you do like - once I have these I can do a little research and see if the Victoriana handles are still available.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ian - thank you for your reply. My name is***** to be clear - at present I have 2 kitchens - one old - one new, almost completed and situated in a different location. The old kitchen is 27 years old and in it I have a SMEG built in double oven purchased in 2001 Model No: DO67CGS and now obsolete. It has a handle on each oven which I really like and can be cut down to 385mm as the ends and the bar are separate so the bar size could be altered to the handle size of the ovens I have recently purchased and detailed below.
The new ovens are Victoriana Combination SF4920MCB and Victoriana Oven SFP6925BPZ. The closest style to the old oven and the only option in colour white and I could only get the white option by buying the 2 ovens separately, 1 being a microwave combination.I would like to take the handles off the new ovens (SF4920MCB SFP6925BPZ) and replace them with the handles from my old SMEG DO67CGS once the they have been adjusted to fit.This is the question? Is it possible to physically change the handles. The original double oven doors are pretty simple to take apart and remove the handles. The new ovens look complicated and the microwave combination looks more so and sealed.Basically I want to replace handles on the 2 new ovens, with the handles from the old double oven - is that possible?
The old oven handles would just look so much nicer than what SMEG have put on the newer models.Thank youJoan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ian - I don't know if I did something wrong but I got a message saying you had replied again but I can't see it.
Joan
Leave this with me for a while Joan - I cant find details of the new oven as its too new so am trawling around the sales stuff to get an idea of what you want.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Ian - I have the handles but I just need to know if I can change them over on the new oven. Take the 2 doors apart and screw in the ones from old oven. Hope that helps clarify.
Joan
The issue Joan is the gap between the fixing screws on the old vis the new ~ in the end the easiest way is to take off the main oven door and measure them up to see.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Ian - what I need to know is can I remove the glass on both ovens to access the screws. It was possible on old oven and may be on the single new oven? But the microwave glass looks sealed and not accessible. I think this may not be possible and don't want to waste your time. I may just have to live with the handles!
Joan
You may have to leave this with me Joan as your model is not yet listed so I will have to send a request in to Smeg to get hold of the manual. I'll be in touch.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay - thank you. Have handles - just want to replace them with something I like.