Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

Dishwasher sticks at "8 o'clock" on the start knob but continues

Dishwasher sticks at "8 o'clock" on the start knob but continues OK if nudged along.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Forgot to say that it's a Neff machine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.
Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries - could you kindly give me the full Enr please its on the top of the inner stainless door laser etched across the top edge.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
S4133WOGB/14
Could you give me an idea of where it is in the program, is it full of water, empty has it heated the water or is the water still cold?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess that the water has heated as the machine is in the process of washing which it continues to do until the knob is slightly moved on manually. It then continues until the end of the programme as normally with a satisfactory final result.
OK looking at the scenario and perhaps explaining how it works will perhaps help. This is a fairly conventional dishwasher with components connected to a electro-mechanical timer. In essence this means that on start up various things happen which are timed whilst others depend upon certain actions taking place that then activate the timer motor and things progress to the next stage. An example of this is heating, the water gets hot and a thermostat then switches the power across to the timer motor which moves to the next stage of timed operation. In your case either the thermostat is faulty and is not moving the timer forwards to the next stage the thermostat does not switch or the timer is faulty. Its really a case of now finding the thermostats and checking them and if they are all OK deciding to tolerate the problem or changing the timer. I attach a link to the parts diagram to allow you to find the thermostats (2 of) and then come back to me if you need further help. The main thermostat is directly under the heating element part number
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not being a mechanically adept person I guess the answer is to call in a mechanic. Do you agree ?
To be quite honest with you, you have to consider its age and see if the parts you require are still available. The cost of the switching mechanism (timer switching) is £101 whilst its drive motor is £93. If you call out Bosch they will want around £95 callout plus the cost of parts and if they havent got them they will still want the callout. In your situation I would put up with it until it dies completely and then replace it. Or replace it now, £200 is a long way towards another dishwasher. And can I say now that Bosch/Siemens/Neff despite a reduction in quality like their competitors are still a very good dishwasher.